Voltage Regulator on 2002 WRX

When it gets cold (10 - 20 deg.F) starting car in the morning noticed that voltage gauge jumps up to 16V (actually observed 16.7V !). As car warms up, it drops down to 13.7 V at normal driving revs and then behaves. I don't think that car's electronics appreciates seeing 16V+ even for 3-5 minutes. Did anybody experienced similar voltage regulator behavoir, or should I bring dealer's attention to such phenomenon?

Dave

Reply to
David Spektor

Does the "charge" lamp illuminate in the instrument cluster? It's supposed to go of when the voltage is excessively high (defined as >16V in the service manual). Where does the voltage gauge measure voltage - is it directly across the battery terminals? What do systems in the car see? (use a multimeter and measure voltage from a switched power lead to ground - see if it's actually that high) Is the electrolyte in the battery foaming over? Are you certain the gauge is accurate?

Reply to
David & Caroline