Washer for oil filter on 3 liter 6 cylinder engine?

I was recently looking at a 2002 Beam Outback with the 6 cylinder engine. There was a business sized envelope in the glove box labeled 'washers needed for oil filter intallation'. I checked the oil filters at a couple local auto part shops, and none of the ones I found that were supposed to fit that engine/model had any washer or any mention of a washer. So, I'm confused. I've never needed any sort of washer for a spin-on oil filter before... Can one of you familiar with the Subaru 6 cylinder engine fill me in here?

Other things to look for/watch for on these models of Subaru? Durability of the 4 vs 6 cylinder engine?

Reply to
Jack Countryman

The washers aren't for the filter, they are for the drain plug.

Reply to
mulder

Correct. You're supposed to use a new crush washer every time you change the oil. I avoid that by installing a fumoto valve - never have to remove the drain plug again.

Reply to
Ragnar

Hi,

I've seen mostly good reports on the Fumoto, but haven't tried one. I use copper washers on my plug instead of the crush washers (you may need to check an independent auto parts store--I don't see 'em often at the chains.) They last a LONG time (back when I was running air-cooled VW's I saw several that had the same washer at 50k miles. It was pretty thin by then, but still sealed adequately!)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Fumoto Valves are terrific! They make changing oil a lot less of a pain!

Reply to
jMon54

For anyone interested...

Note: I have no financial interest in this company. I have bought two of their valves and recommend them.

Reply to
jMon54