water drips from tail lights when hatch is opened

Hatch...? I can't think of a better name for the tailgate/rear door of the stationwagon...

Lately, I've noticed water dripping when the door is opened. It's coming from the tail lights and dripping into the passenger compartment.. but only when the door is opened. There is a little access door to change the light bulbs, and the water is coming through there.

Looking at the rear lights, I can clearly see the water in there. Is this a known issue?

cheers

Reply to
Dan Langille

You could drill some very small holes into the bottom of the lenses. I've done this before on another car with water-collecting lenses. DS

"Dan Langille" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
DS

Hi.

Normal Subaru problem .Take lights off , clean area . Use clear silicon mastic and apply to back of lights were previous sealer once was and refit lights.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Davies

"Dan Langille" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

This is a undocumented feature on Subaru's. It's a self rinsing tail-lamp. Rest assured that you have not been charged for this feature! Your local Subaru dealer will pretend to not have any idea of what your talking about, to prevent a supplimental charge for this.

Regular translation.......

Still another example of shoddy workmanship from Subaru. You pay big bucks for your car and this is what they expect you to accept. Subaru is clearly *Clueless* when it comes to gasketing and trim/fit of lights,lenses,windows,driprails,fuel lines and especially paint. It's probably not worth your time wasted, but I would shove that problem up the dealers ass....

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

You don't mention your car - but I (and eventually I discovered a coupla other people on a forum with same issue) had the left taillight assembly replaced under warranty on my '06 WRX Sportwagon. No problems since. It never dripped but had quite a bit of water in the light. I'm sure it would've eventually blown the bulbs out. They wouldn't let me have the old one or I may have tried to repair and keep it for a spare.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

FYI: Subaru Legacy Stationwagon 2001

Reply to
Dan Langille

Sounds easy enough to me Steve. Is the procedure for removing the lenses off pretty straight forward? I'll have a look...

Silicon mastic? Is that a British term? When I Google for it, most of the hits are .co.uk

And, FWIW, when I search homepot.ca, all the hits are in French... ;)

Reply to
Dan Langille

URLs ending in .ca are typically Canadian. Since Canada is a bilingual nation, most pages will offer the choice between English and French. DS

"Dan Langille" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
DS

The point I was trying to make was that mastic appears to be a British term that seems to also be French term.

Reply to
Dan Langille

Hi

Dont know if Mastic is a Uk thing. Basicaly its the clear silicon you put around your shower base or around your bath to seal it were the tiles meet either the shower or bath to stop water entering down behind. Should imagine it would be readily available from and DIY or Hardware store. Just unbolt complete light units and remove from Car. Could possibly be 10mm bolts but dont quote me on that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Davies

Roof rack rails? Seal the edges with black silicone Trim around rear windows? Seal the edges with black silicone Hatchback rubber seal all good? where lights meet the car tight? rear quarters open anywhere? check all seams in the area. the roof rack rails and window trim plastic was the sneakiest leak I have found (its engineered flaw!). The strangest part of that error: it is not even the lights 9 times out of

  1. DO NOT DRILL HOLES in the lenses, the bulbs captivity is taken into account for thier longevity. The bulbs in the open do not last and even rust the sockets.They create a heat pressure while on and last forever in the lenses while reducing electrical consumption and increasing brightness.

- this lesson learned on a 1987 subaru wagon... they haven't changed a darn thing since. Ya see, its 70 degrees and beverly hills sunshine all year in the subaru engineers workspace. Heck, it even makes 5 main bearings sound peachy. May as well quadruple the prices and pretend they aren't all dumber than a crack head.

bgd73

"Dan Langille" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
bgd

They create a heat pressure while on and last forever in the

Thats some impressive dope your smoking there....... Did you pull this out of your own ass or read it somewhere?

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

We have a mastic for roofing, but caulk for tubs!

(though they are similar in consistency - I can see where mastic may be a better term as 'caulk' - historically, was rope fiber plus tar I think?)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You have to remember that BGD was personally insulted by 2 more main bearings and is on a personal vendetta to come to your house and rip them out out of the Subie in your driveway.

Reply to
nobody >

That gooey ropey stuff is also called oakum. I just (today) had a well-meaning but clueless stuporvisor tell me to use it to seal a wet conduit with waveguide in it. I used latex-based spray foam instead, mych better.

Reply to
nobody >

Steve: thank you... hopefully I will get a chance to look at this very soon.

Reply to
Dan Langille

It looks like the rear light assembly on a 2001 Legacy stationwagon comes off in one piece. It is a car-wide lens I think, with two bolts at either end. With the door open, they are just above your head. The bolts look corroded.

Reply to
Dan Langille