What are the differences in Subie AWD systems (if any)?

I used to think that Subaru used only one basic AWD system that delivered 90% front and 10% rear power under normal condidtions. Those specs are out of the owner's manual for my wife's '97 OB Sport 2.2l. There is no mention in the manual of my '00 OBW-LTD but I assume it's the same. (Both vehicles have automatics)

I'm trying to figure out the "Symmetric AWD" advertising. Doesn't this somewhat imply a 50/50 front/rear power split? Is this a newer system? I've also thought I've seen something about WRX and STI models having more than one system.

I'm not jealous of something different, it's just that old nagging curiosity.

The 90/10 system has done exceedingly well on my wife's car. I've only driven it twice in conditions where it was heavily needed and was very impressed. She3's been thru some wild stuff.

I only recently purchased my OBW and am waiting for "interesting" conditions to evaluate it. (the hell with that.. I wanna go play in the snow!)This will be my first vehicle in 40 years of driving with a limited slip diff in the rear.. add AWD and it's gonna be fun !

Reply to
nobody >

Current systems are Liquid Viscuous Center Diffs and are 50/50 split. The system for the automatic is different than the system on the standard.

The STI system is different. It is mechanical and biased slightly to the rear. There is also a DCCD contol that allows the lock-up of the center diff to be manually controlled.

Reply to
JD

under Why Subaru, select Symmetrical AWD. There are 5 systems (though really, 3 basic systems as said in the other post) The wet clutch-pack in the auto, the DCCD Torsen in the STI, and the Viscous Locking like in my WRX. The Symetrical refers to the layout of the drivetrain to set it apart from transverse transaxles I guess.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Typically... all manual transmission Subaru's are 50/50 power distribution, it's just adjustable on an STi. Older automatic transmissions are 90/10 or so... not sure if that changed in the newer ones or not.

nobody > wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy