what do I have?

I was given a '90 Legacy AWD wagon. How do I tell which model it is? It only has 110K miles. What are some of the classic problems to look for?

Thanx, Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

A low milage, 26 year old car of any make will have problems with rubber and seals decomposing.

Check the belts, including the timing belt, CV joint boots, shock absorbers for leaks, hoses, and battery.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

What about a 16 year car, which is what he was asking about.

:-)

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Sorry, never mind... (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Whew for a moment there I thought I was losing it! Glad to see it was you instead :) Any thoughts as to which model I have? Is there an easy way to tell?

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Any older car with that few miles will likely have been driven in such a way as to have moisture collect in almost every fluid. Flushing the brake system, tranny(especially automatic) maybe change the diff oil, power steering fluid, might be good insurance. make sure the cooling system and its parts (radiator cap, thermostat) are working and, if you drain it, make SURE you burp all the air outta the system. A Sea Foam or other treatment to clear out carbon from the cylinders might be a good idea, do it BEFORE a spark plug and oil change. I THINK it should have had a timing belt change at 60K, if so, it will be due for another one soon. If the schedule is 105K, it's overdue. While you're in there, re-sealing the oil pump, changing the waterpump, tensioner/idler bearing is a good idea. Basically, treat it like any other car driven under severe conditions (very low mileage is considered severe due to the likelihood that short trips do not allow the engine to properly warm up). Soobs are likely to display the same problems as other cars with the additional complexity of the AWD system. You might fish around at

for a VIN 'decoder' and, sign up over at
, those guys are geniuses at keeping older soobs running.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

My guess as what model is it is if it has leather and a sunroof, then it's the LS model. Lacking this it is the L model. Should also be a small plaque on the tailgate showing which model it is.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanx, I just noticed that. It is an L model.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Thanx Carl, I know it had the timing belt done already. The Sea Foam is a good idea. The car was used weekly before my dad moved down here. I will check out the link you provided. Thanx again Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland