What does "prewired" for security alarm ential?

Brochures for 2004 models mention they are "prewired" for security alarms.

Exactly what is this wiring? One wiring access point for immobilizing the car? Contacts on doors and windows?

On my present 89 GL I've fitted a home made immobilizing switch. Will the "prewiring" on the '04s enable me to do this easier, or is it some complex stuff designed to work only with a proprietory Subaru gizmo?

Incidentally, a local Suburu dealer recently quoted Can$450 extra for an immobilizer on a new Impreza TS wagon, plus $250 for a cargo cover, which I assume must be handcrafted out of gold laminated fabric rather than the grey roll-up plastic thing on my current wagon. Outrageous, IMHO!

Reply to
teekaynospam

The wires for the alarm and interrupt relay are in the harness. For the 2003 Outback, installing the factory alarm entails removing the radio and plugging in a module next to it. The interrupt relay connector has a jumper which is replaced with a relay.

The sheetmetal under dash is sharp so be careful. I got 5 stiches for not wearing gloves when removing a nut.

on the library link for the install manual. The hardest part is getting the plastic dash apart (see instructions for clip locations), otherwise the install is fairly easy.

Reply to
Jeff