What is a road crown? - Forester Alignment problem

Got the car back from the dealer. Fixed the alignment but the car still pulled to the right. The technician mentioned that this is because there is some problem with the Geolander tires. His notes indicate "road crown." I am not sure what this is. Anyway, he rotated the tires to get the car to stay straight. And that works a bit. But the problem, he said, will come back if the tires are rotated again.

If the tires are indeed the issue then, SoA says, it is not their problem and I should talk to Bridgestone/Firestone. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed with this. I would like to get the tires replaced if they indeed are the problem. The car is 6 weeks old with

2000 miles on it. I believe subaru has sold a defective product.
Reply to
Cricket Fan

If rotating the tires fixed it, the problem is caused by radial tire pull - a very common problem. I have had several brand new dunlops do this. Ironically, 10,000 miles later when I rotated them, the problem was gone.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Well... "road crown" sounds like a description of the shape of the road surface designed to make water run off to the sides, i.e. "crowns" in the middle where it is highest.

That said, the problem is then that if the car is not completely level, it pulls on you.

Try some experiments on known level surfaces.

It seems like there should be some pull due to slope, but if it's level then there's still a tire/alignment problem. (Have you tried taking it somewhere else for a second opinion?)

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

Nearly all roads are crowned. But if you find a nice stadium parking lot or the equivalent somewhere...

Reply to
Caden

Cam Penner

The car is 6 weeks old and the dealership is telling you that the issue is not their problem?... That is a load of crap and the dealership is trying to pull a fast one on you.

They sold you the car and they have to stand by the product that they sell... What would they tell you if any other part on the car was faulty... That too isn't their problem? If the tires are the issue, then Subaru, not you, has chosen that product to spec the vehicle with, and they have to deal with the problem. Get them to fix it, they owe it to you for purchasing their product with your hard earned cash.

Good Luck, PaulW.

Reply to
PaulW

It has been very frustrating so far. The dealer that I tried to buy the car from tried to fix the problem, but he was very unresponsive and didn't do the job right. The service center there tried to shrug-off the problem as sailing.

So I took the car to another dealer after getting some positive feedback about their service center. The staff seemed knowledgeful and co-operative. They admitted the alignment problem. Fixed it supposedly. But the weren't able to get the car to go straight. So they rotated the tires. That seemed to get the car to go straight a bit. Therefore, they think it is the tires(tyres :)).

It is turning out to be hopeless to deal with SoA. They promised me a call back after talking with the last service center. But I haven't heard anything back.

Anyway, I would just be happy if there isn't a persistent problem with the car that affects the reliability.

Reply to
Cricket Fan

^^^^^^^^^^^^ should read "The dealer I bought the car from..."

Reply to
Cricket Fan

Yep! Exactly my point. SoA started arguing that they do not manufacture the tires. So I should, talk to the Bridgestone/Firestone because they cover the warranty on the tires. They started talking about signing the documents after reading the manual. 258 pages of reading before buying the car. I told them, they would not sell too many cars that way.

Nevertheless, my point is I did not buy tires separately for the car. As far as the auto sale is concerned, I bought the car from Subaru that had the tires on them.

I am thinking of resorting to some consumer protection agencies to take this matter up.

With the amount of alignment issues that I have seen on the board, I am sure there will be many lawyers seeing dollars on a class action.

Reply to
Cricket Fan

The bad alignment ruined the tires, tires will continue to wear unevenly even after the alignment is fixed so whatever SOA is saying they can jam it up their ass because it's their worksmanship that ruined those tires, not Bridgestone's tire design.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Reply to
Edward Hayes