What is That Plastic Fastener Called???

Okay, I have changed the oil many times now on my 1999 Subaru Forester. I have been very careful not to damage the two plastic push pin fastener rivet thingys that hold the outer two sides of the plastic engine protector / cover.

What I need to know is what are those little plastic fasteners called - you know what they are : - ) And....where can one buy them online. (Okay, I feel too lazy to go to my Subaru dealership here in Mpls.,MN, USA).

Thanks for the help...

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Knoll

I just went to Lowe's or Home Depot and looked in their special fasteners hardware section. Take an old one in and compare. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

They're called (strangely enough) clips. They're two piece plastic - a expanding sleeve around a center pin, and they serve to keep the underspoiler (AKA skirt) in place along with some bolts. When the center pin is pushed in, the sleeve expands and locks in place. When new, the sleeve is straight. Once used, the sleeve tends to stay in its expanded state. Removal requires that the pin be pulled out half way before the sleeve comes out easily. I found out the hard way that pulling the pin as far out as possible doesn't work.

There are two kinds. The newer ones seem to be ones that pop out with a flat-head screwdriver in either of two notches at the base of the sleeve. The older ones need a #2 Phillips head screwdriver to unscrew the center pin before removal. The older kind is part #

909130067 and is available at 1stSubaruParts.com for $.98 each.

The dealer is going to be the easiest place to find the suckers. It's maybe $1.50 each, and online the shipping will be way too much unless you plan on getting other items.

Reply to
y_p_w

Thanks a million for this information : - ))

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Knoll