What is the 'Heat Shield' anyway?

Hi:

Got a 1997 Suby OB. About every year it starts making a weird sound. Kind of a twangy rattle. We take it in and they say it's the heat shield. They either "Tighten it" for free, or replace it once in a while for about ten bucks. The fix never lasts for long though. What is this thing & where is it located? Its making that sound once again.

~~Phil~~

Reply to
PHIL

On a 95 Impreza it is located near the front. Look under the front bumper into the engine compartment. On top of the exhaust pipes you'll see pieces of engine tin. On the impreza it was like two halves, so I put a large hose clamp around it to get rid of the noise.

Hope this helps. Remco

Reply to
Remco

It's supposed to keep the catalytic converter from starting grass fires on dry grass. They corrode and loosen and make a racket. I've used hose clamps and I've just ripped some of them off as I don't drive on dry grass. If you live in a strict inspection state that requires all parts of the OEM exhaust to be in place, you will have to replace or repair as required.

Reply to
Jakey