What is this called - see pic

Hi,

What is this tube attached to the air intake system, after the air filter. And what is it supposed to do? (See picture at below site )

AJay

Reply to
AJay

Hi, Silencer or muffler. To lessen the air in rush noise.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's also possible that it dampens an intake air column pulsation at certain RPMS. Trust me, some engineer has the real reason and spent hours designing it.

Reply to
nobody >

Hi, Yep. Just run the car without it and see/hear. Some times they have similar things around axle drive shaft on RWD vehicles.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hours? You don't know too many engineers, do you? That sucker took a month or more. :-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

Yup, from theory to real thing. Emphirical engineering takes infinite time some times and never gets the desired result. I am a retired engineer, been there, done that causing a few extra white hairs, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.

AJay

Reply to
AJay

Resonator?

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

appendix?

Reply to
coaster

It's a contraband storage container.

The others have correctly ID'd the function.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

An optimist thinks the glass is half full A pessimist thinks the glass is half empty An engineer thinks the glass is too big

Reply to
John

Just putting in my 4c worth on this one. If you look at the plumbing on most houses you';ll find something similar close to the water heater. It's lovingly referred to as a air hammer. It acts as a shock absorber to the water pressure if it is suddenly shut off after a full flow (washing machines) to dampen the inertial water impulse...or words to that effect. ;-) And with that reply you'll probably think I'm have full of it. :-D

Ole Baldy

Reply to
Baldy

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
nobody >

Why, anyone who's ever worked on an east Asian car knows that's the nern dampener, positioned to interecept vibrations in the 800-1400 hz range, convert them to a standing wave and cancel them with a contavening burst of negative oscillation. This was designed to make it easier to understand the nuanced lyrics to American Pie, specifically the notion that Don Mclean and his buddies left "the Levee" in New Rochelle NY when they weren't allowed to play, to travel north along the Long Island Sound shore to Rye, where the "good old boys" were drinking "whiskey IN Rye" and wouldn't tolerate the hippies.

Might as well globalize our local legends.

Reply to
suburboturbo

)

Having built horn loudspeaker systems, and creating or opening dead air space chambers, and extending the low frequency performance, where the horn, because of its length and mouth size can't produce lower notes, because the pressure backs up the horn and cancels the next wave, I thought it was something that will vent the pressure of the intake air train that is coming through the intake system when an intake valve-s close, and stops it, to let the air flow steadier. Cyclone Headers used to have a bulge at the exhaust port with funnel shapes there that funneled the exhaust down the pipe, but a returning pulse got diverted into the bulge, reducing back pressure.

In the late 50's Chrysler had 30" long intake runners, that they called Ram Induction, and the carb for the right bank of the V-8 was outboard of the left valve cover. That was said to increase air flow at mid revs to increase power for passing. Don't think they had the proboscus.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Ya know, I was wondering the same thing!

I haven't read any of the other responses yet, but I'm guessing it's for something on the turbo models...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Leave it to you!

What happens when your 'contraband' gets sucked into the intake?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The car stops, and you remember you put something in there.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)