What's up with the 2005 pricing structure?

Understood. However - this was what I was responding to (from Mr. A):

I know that the Impreza is a bit smaller than the Legacy or Forester. However - it is an AWD car (or wagon) for less than the price of an Escape - i.e. what he claimed wasn't available.

Reply to
y_p_w

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but Jkpoulus7 pretty much nailed it.

I didn't buy a Subaru until the '95 came out because it had insufficient room in the driver's seat for me. At 6'2" I'm not terribly tall, but my legs are kind of long and the smaller cars just don't cut it. As I mentioned in my original post, the 2004 Legacy doesn't have as much legroom as my '95. I suspect it has something to do with the power seats.

I seem to recall that the original Outback had more headroom than the Legacy, but I seem to recall that the difference went away eventually.

Reply to
Mr. A

The 2004 models in a limited 4 cyl are msrp 28,865 invoice is 26,188 and "what others are paying" (source Edmunds.com) is 26,608. I paid to get the pricing from Consumer Reports on the 2005 Limited 2.5i with auto which showed the dealer pays 26,309 for the vehicle and they get an $840 holdback form Subaru. I bought our 2005 Limited for about $500 over invoice with some options included. I looked at both cars (2004 vs 2005) and judged the 2005 the be the better car in regards to interior, exterior, and safety features/construction (stronger ring reinforcement). I don't believe a car was available with as many standard features, reliability, AWD for this price. What really sold me was the safety the car provides to my family. I also believe that resale values will be good. What would be a better comparable choice?

Later, Gregg

Reply to
G.R. Aydelotte

I've got a 2004 WRX, which I think is very close to the standard Impreza in terms of leg room. My WRX front seat has an adjustable height lever, and I can bring the seat back quite a bit. I'm having no problems (I'm 6') and the headroom is far more than I'm used to (previous car was a '95 Acura Integra GS-R). I don't know if the base Impreza has these front seat features, but I'd think that someone 6'2" could be comfortable driving it.

Reply to
y_p_w

Other than the fact that the Subaru is a much better vehicle than the above mentioned three combined, I can't think of a thing.

Reply to
JW

I test drove an 05 legacy GT yesterday. Nice car but the price is way too high. There are alternatives in the market that are just as powerful with more options at a lower price point.

I spoke with the sales manager and told him I am seriously considering an Altima 3.5 SE but I would consider the Legacy GT. Interesting that the sales manager did not try the line that the subaru legacy is an entry level luxury model and thus in a different class than the Altima and you should not compare them.

I highly doubt that Subarus strategy of attempting to push their cars up level will make them even a blip on the radar screen of a buyer considering an Audi or BMW.

So, I also have to wonder what the guys at Fuji are smoking.

Reply to
PMS

For whom ? I doubt many serious BMW, Volvo and Saab perpective buyer do consider Subarus to be true alternatives -- at least as far as performance and luxury are concerned. Not to say they are correct, just that they probably will not flock to Subaru dealerships in huge numbers.

On the other hand, traditionnal subaru customers may well drop out (or upgrade more slowly) because of high prices, or if they can afford the current pricing they could well be tempted to shell out another couple of grands and get that BMW, Volvo or Saab (or Audi).

The current Legacy/outback sure is better than the former, but still no match for traditionnal luxury brands in terms of luxury or performance. Lower maintenance costs are definitely a + for Subaru, but then again Audis come with a 4 year free-everything...

Moreover, Mazda is proving to the industry that classy interior and great handling are possible at reasonable market price points -- see the Mazda 6 and especially the Mazda3. Subaru should learn from that.

I agree, Subaru got it all wrong here. They are about to loose me as a customer.

Reply to
Legrospied

I've had only Subarus since 1978 when I bought a new SW for Can$5800 and drove it until front fender literally dropped off from rust on a bumpy back road.

A few months ago I started shopping around for a new Subie wagon to replace my elderly '89 GL wagon, and decided to wait until the 2005's.

But, sorry, Subaru, you've finally lost a faithful customer :-(

The 2005s are all very nice but when a Legacy Limited wagon costs $7700 more than the base model (which isn't cheap to start with) and it *still* doesn't have an engine immobilizer or telescopic steering wheel as standard they should be on cars of that price, and is *still* fairly gutless, then that's just too much money for the car.

So what did I finally (and quite reluctantly) buy? A Mazda3 Sport GT

5-dr automatic for only about Can$23,000.

The features, finish and looks have Subaru beat hands down, predicted reliability should be is at least as good, and it's one hot little car. Yeah, I know it's not a WRX or AWD but it was $10,000 cheaper, has more room and zoom (*much* more, even with automatic) than the Impreza, and runs on regular gas with good mpg.

Come the winter I may regret not having a 4WD but in the meantime I'm having fun - cheaply :-)

Reply to
teekaynospam

I too was looking forward to the 2005 GT wagon, but I don't think it's going to happen at these prices. My sister in law has been dying for a legacy since I sold my '98 GT. Now that she's out of school and has a job, I can't sell her on that car anymore. The reason I got the '98 was because it offered much of what the A4 had, but for $10,000 less. Now the difference is only a couple thousand, but it's not that much closer to the Audi in terms of what it offers. Personally, I'm steering her towards a Mazda6. 220 HP V6, leather, moonroof, 6-disc in dash, 17" wheels, spoiler/front, side, rear skirts all for about $24k. No comparison.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith