Wheel Bearing??

I have a bit of a 'wobbling' noise from my '02 WRX. It's not constant and make the noise consistently on some roads and consistently does not make the noise on others. It's loudest when turning hard to the right, specifically on on/off ramps. I also get a pulsing ( not ABS pulsing ) under heavy braking. The noise remains when I switch for summer to winter tires. Does this sound like a wheel bearing?

Reply to
MarkZ

What kind of WRX? Auto? Did you buy it used?

The braking vibration might be cementite on the rotors. Replace the rotors (or have them turned) and I'll bet the problem will go away. Consider aftermarket rotors and new aftermarket pads.

Reply to
k. ote

It's a 5MT bought new, I already have after market pads and had the brakes checked at my last service??

P.S. sorry about the email "k. ote", clicked the wr>

Reply to
MarkZ

Interesting. I had a 2002 WRX with almost the exact same issues: but in my case I had to admit to myself that the vibration under hard braking only occurred after I had been particularly rough on the brakes and then sat there at a stop light, on a hill, with the brakes still down. In other words, in my case it was most likely a result of uneven deposits on the rotors. I never checked into it because right around the time that vibration occurred, I traded up to an STi.

In terms of the noise/etc on the sharp right turn, that was also an issue for me, and I ended up replacing a wheel bearing as a result of some damage that my WRX sustained. Afterwards, the noise was lessened but still there, which led me to believe it may have been something else.

Another possibility that affected me was the dust shield ended up getting bent after driving over a particularly nasty bump in the road, which caused a grating, metal-on-metal rasping noise until I got the shield bent back out again where it was supposed to be. Weather seemed to be partly involved in this, as it would disappear in the cold weather, and return when it was

35 degrees C outside. Bending the dust shield back where it was supposed to be was a simple 5-minute job after my dealer found out what the cause of the obnoxious noise was.

The wheel bearing was not just a noise, but also its own source of vibration: if it's going, the mechanic working on the car told me, I'll be able to feel it.

Reply to
k. ote

That's some good advice, I'll look into it

Thanks

Reply to
MarkZ

when was the last time somebody had your wheels off the car?

i also thought something was wrong on my '02 legacy wagon (mechanic said it sounded like a bad wheel bearing), but it turned out to be loose wheel nuts! (ALL the nuts on the right side were only finger-tight.)

i had the car in for service just before a long trip, the dealership rotated the tires, but they didn't bother to warn me about retorquing the nuts, on mag wheels, after a few hundred miles. they really should have. (the dealer where it took it in not only warn customers about this, right on the service invoice, every time the wheels have been off, but they also retorque them for free - too bad they're halfway across the continent.)

i was also a little amused that it was the RIGHT side of the car: for many years chrysler used to use right-handed threads on the right-side wheels and left-handed threads on the left-side wheels, supposedly to prevent the bolts from working their way loose...

....... tom klein

Reply to
tom klein

I learned about that when I was a new driver and had to change the left front wheel on our 64 Dodge. I didn't get any of the lug nuts to budge even

1/4 turn... man, they were tight! Then a friend mentioned the left hand threads... see? They didn't work loose!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee