wheel bearings

No - I had to have all but passenger rear replace around 200,000 km but they've been fine since.

Did you get all done by the same mechanic? If so, that is most likely your problem.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Well we will find out soon. Just had rear left replaced by another garage.

Still seems strange that wheel bearings need such frequent replacement. Have had many cars in my day and never had to have wheel bearings replace the first time.

Dom>> Have 1998 Forester. Have replaced wheel bearings 5 times and just told

Reply to
dba

Agreed - Soobs are notorious for having under-engineered their wheel bears so that they only last 100,000km to 200,000km - plus it is easy to mash them when installing them - not the best design IMHO.

Reply to
Dominic Richens
100,000km to 200,000km? The car is a 1998 with 60,000. The wheel bearings have been changed 4 times before (maybe more) and we just did the 5th.

Dom>> Well we will find out soon. Just had rear left replaced by another garage. >>

Reply to
dba

Hi,

I've gotta agree that Subaru did NOT choose the best designs for their wheel bearings, but, still, it sounds like there's something SERIOUSLY wrong w/ the car, the installation procedure, or both?

One thing we discussed a couple of years back makes me wonder about the installation. Supposedly new bearings were coming from the factory pre-greased. One of the things we tossed about was whether they were "pre-greased" for actual use, or was this "preservative" grease that needed to be replaced w/ actual service lube prior to installation?

For myself, I've never trusted the "pre-greased" idea and have lubed replacement bearings "forever." I'm gonna wonder out loud if maybe none of the bearings installed in your car were ever properly greased? One reason I wonder is that when one of the rear bearings was getting loose in my Subie (250k miles or so), I didn't have time to change it out right when I discovered the wear, so I got out the grease gun and a needle and really gave it a good amount of grease to hold it while I "crossed my fingers." I got over 5000 miles out of it before it finally failed, and even when it "gave up" I was able to limp it home at low speed for close to 50 miles.

Now that's on a known "sick" bearing, so getting only twice that mileage from a "new" one is purely inexcusable.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright