when do I tune up?

Hi All,

2006 Forrester. Do you still do tune these things up? How many miles between tune ups?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Frank

Think yourself lucky these days. There was an article in the local newspaper here yesterday about the old 1950s Ford Prefect - according to the owner they need the engine overhauled every 30,000 miles and a valve grind every 20,000 - 25,000 miles, plus the owner of that one greases it every 800km. :-)

Reply to
Your Name

Was this also true of his semi half cousin, Zaphod Beeblebrox?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Probably not. With two heads and never washing his hair, he probably greasy enough. Besides, travelling at high speed through space would mean he'd easily reach a measley 30,000 miles every second. ;-)

No doubt the Ford Prefect's sister car the Ford Anglia, as well as most other cars from that era, is also the same for maintenance though.

Reply to
Your Name

Nice chart. Thank you.

Looks like plugs and filters (air and gas) every 30,000 miles.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Last year, I gave my old timing light and dwell/tac meter to Goodwill. Don't think I had used these things since the early '80's.

Reply to
Frank

That would explain why the maintenance schedule was only for filters and plugs

Reply to
Todd

I stick to the chart and anything I do myself gets documented in case of a warranty problem. My '03 is well out of warranty but 2 years ago, with low mileage, I had the head gasket problem and Subaru paid for half the repair when I approached them about it with my records.

Dealers have a tendency to recommend some things be done more often or do unnecessary things. I got hosed at my 30,000 maintenance by just giving him the car and telling him to do the service.

Reply to
Frank

I noticed. They wanted to replace both front and rear brakes at the same time. Rear still had 90%.

Les Schwab did a great job (on my front brakes).

-T

Reply to
Todd

I tend to avoid the dealer. He was no help with my head gasket problem but SOA was. I'm probably due for brakes in the fall and will deal with a local shop that does most of my work.

Reply to
Frank