when to replace fuel filter?

Is there a non-oem fuel filter that would work in a 2002 impreza wrx? I like to use a see-thru filter so I know when it is dirty enough to replace. Otherwise, how do you know when to replace it? Guess?

peter

There are no see-throughs since the filter has to be metal, but you can get an aftermarket one at the part store. Purolator makes one, NAPA probably has them as well. The filter is normally replaced at the

30K service interval, you can see the maintenance schedule on the Subaru website or in your owners manual package.
Reply to
mulder

I believe that all external Subaru fuel filters now have a change interval at 60,000 miles. Originally the change interval was 30K but, that was upgraded to 60K ~2004? The fuel filter on my Forester S is about as large as a small oil filter and probably never needs to be changed unless you get a load of water.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Advance has a filter for about $15 bucks...30-45K is probably worthwhile, without going overboard.

Reply to
CompUser

OK, now someone please clue me in WRT fuel filters. Maybe I misunderstand something:

Why would anyone want/need to change fuel filter if there are no real life indications to do so?

Inline filters under positive pressure don't break, they get clogged. And when the filter is clogged, the performance suffers but the dirt and crap still does not get into the engine. So, why is googling brings all kind of "changing fuel filter every 15Kmi is one of the best maintenance things you can do"?

And why did Subaru changed fuel filter replacement schedule from

30 to 60 Kmi even though it seems that exactly the same filter is used?

DK

Reply to
DK

Theoretically no filters are"perfect traps" for all solid particles. Previously trapped particles are constantly being forced through by pressure. A really clogged filter may even start coughing up lots of contaminants, but I'd think the rate at which the particles are released would go up with use. Most recomendations used to be for oil filters to be replaced with every other oil change.

There are some pretty nasty things in gasoline. Take a look at the filler nozzle and see how much metal has been scraped off. One theory is that these metal shavings can puncture through filter material and the longer the filter is in service, the greater the chance that it gets compromised.

Don't know. The recommendations for fuel filter replacement for the WRX was always 60K miles. I remember stuff like a Honda modification of its timing belt change interval from 60K to 90K miles. 30K miles sounds really conservative. In fact I think Subaru's 30K interval for coolant changes is fairly conservative. They use a long-life coolant similar to the ones other Japanese carmakers are using, but without the extended replacment recommendation.

Reply to
y_p_w

I think the 30K interval was overly conservative until they had some real world experience & feed back. I think the filter is a 100,000 mile filter considering the size of it. Of course if you get a load of junk or water in the fuel then your done whatever the size.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

(snip)

As the filter traps particulates over time, resistance to fuel flow increases. Excess resistance will shorten fuel pump life. Visual inspection is not conclusive. If you want to 'test' the filter.... try blowing through it and noting the resistance and how it changes over time.

HTH

Greg in IN

Reply to
Greg in IN

The 2004 Forester has a filter under the hood by the washer tank and left shock tower according to the shop manual. It is scheduled for 30,000 mile service.

My 2005 Forester still has fuel lines there, but no filter. The Subaru shop that just did my 30,000 mile service says there is only the filter in the tank that gets replaced at 60,000 miles.

You can see this change on the maintenance schedules from 2004 to 2005.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

One overly simplistic answer: so you DON'T end up with any real life indications!

I had one really strange experience recently that helps illustrate an extreme of this. I bought an '88 Toyota pickup from a lady whose late husband bought it new. In almost 18 yrs, it had gone all of 63k miles, and, according to his log book in the glove box, the last fuel purchase was nearly 90 days before his passing, the one prior to that nearly six months earlier! She had some, but not all of the service records. I did a quick "visual" on the "see thru" fuel filter, and it looked ok, before I took the truck on a run of about 500 miles one weekend. On the way home, it started coughing, sputtering, and I ended up limping it home the last 30 miles or so at around 20 mph.

Got it home, and diagnosed the problem as almost no fuel flow, so the first thing I did was replace the filter. Problem solved, but out of curiosity, I cut open the "clean looking" filter to see why it had failed. The paper was completely "varnished" over from old fuel sitting in there... even though it looked "perfect" from the outside!

Uh, not necessarily. As with any other filter, there's a "workable" size of crud the filter can catch. Below that size, "stuff" will get thru, and as the filter becomes a bit more clogged, it may or may not allow more stuff thru (depends upon the design of the system.) I couldn't believe the size of the stuff I pulled out the injectors of a car whose fuel pump started to grind itself up once: the filter couldn't keep up and the injectors and fuel distributor all suffered damage.

I know not everyone agrees, but fuel filters rate up there in the "cheap insurance" category IMO.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright