When to wax?

I seem to recall that it's best to wait a while (2 months? 4? 6? not sure) before waxing the exterior of a new car. Something about allowing the paint to dry or cure or something. But, unless I missed it, my '04 Forester owner's manual just says, in so many words, "Wax the car." No limitations or cautions about when.

I'd appreciate some advice. Shall I just wax away tomorrow? Or wait and, if so, how long? If wait, why, exactly?

Thanks.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

Fred

I've been told that the amount of time the car spends on the boat coming over is sufficient enough time for the paint to cure. With today's improved paints it "cures" quicker than in the past.

Reply to
Paul Diamond

It was probably already waxed at the dealership when it went on the lot. Go for it whenever you have the energy/time.

Reply to
someone

I would feel safe in waxing ASAP. I do on my new vehicles. I just used the clay bar for the first time and will never wax again without it. Fantastic results. I also use Buffalo Milke spray wax. Great on metal, trim. plastic, chrome, glass etc. No white residue to clean. I do my car in less than 30 minutes. I use Buffalo Milke as a detailer anytime. Great product.

Reply to
Jerre Bassler

Reply to
Edward Hayes

How to use one at

A clay bar is a 'clay' bar used to remove embedded contaniments in the clearcoat of your vehicle. They are called 'clay bars', 'detailer's clay', and 'overspray clay'. The latter name being the original use for the clay. Paint shops used it to safely remove overspray without harse chemicals. Follow the link above for how to use a clay bar. I've bought several products from the people and they are all quality (Blackfire wax, microfiber towels, 'big blue' towel) I highly reccomend the big blue towel, one towels dries the whole car.

Reply to
null

I use the brand Clay Magic which I got at Auto Zone. I hooked up with Buffalo Milke and now sell it myself.

Reply to
Jerre Bassler

I have detail shop do all my cleaning on my 04 forrester and they suggest that you can wax it right away. they also suggest re-waxing every 6 to 12 months.

Reply to
Richard Jones

I know my dealer suggests I change oil at least every 3 months, regardless of mileage. and yes, he does make a tidy profit from changing oil for customers.

Hmm, Richard, I suggest you consider how that detail shop makes money and decide whether or not you can take their suggestion on this matter without taking that fact into consideration. I assume they wax vehicles, if requested, do they not?

Reply to
de la rosa