Where's the engine block heater plug?

I just got a used '97 Outback with the winter package. I found some literature on the engine block heater in the glove box, but I'll be damned if I can find the plug anywhere on the car. Any ideas where to look?

TIA

Sheldon snipped-for-privacy@sopris.net

Reply to
Sheldon

Not all of them have it even with the winter package. Here in Canada, for example, apparently only the cars that are destined for the prarie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, & Manitoba) get it, but not the ones in Ontario or Quebec. All has to do with the relative coldness of these places.

Fuel injected cars really don't need this that much anyways. There's more danger that the battery loses potential in the cold than the engine not turning.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

The engine block heater is a separate unit that replaces a coolant plug. They are about $30

Reply to
bigjim

Well, I found a Subaru pamphlet about an engine block heater with all the paperwork I got with the car, so I "assume" it's in there. It's pretty rare that I would ever need it, but it can get extremely cold for several days at a time. My other Subie started just fine every day for 5 years till the battery died and had to be replaced.

Reply to
Sheldon

I FOUND IT! The plug was sitting up under the hood next to the battery. All I have to do is hang it out the front under the hood -- if I ever take a vacation in Alaska. :-)

Reply to
Sheldon