Which car cover to get for my new Forester ?

Should I get the standard one like the one at

for $83 plus S&Hor can I find something better in retail stores ? Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com

Reply to
chester

Why do you need a car cover? Will the car be parked outside or in a garage?

The reason I ask is that most time a car cover will scuff the paint if you put it on with the car dirty. I'm sure they all *claim* not to scratch/scuff, but they will. If you keep the car outside, the wind will move the cover and the dirt will act like sand paper on the paint. If the car is in a garage, then a car cover is not going to help much (unless you store it for long periods).

Years ago I got my car painted and bought a car cover. After about 1 year I noticed swirl/scuff marks on the paint. In my opinion, wax the car often and keep it clean.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the warning. I guess I'll just have to wash or clean the car before putting the cover on each time :-)

I would like to have a cover to prevent other pe>

Reply to
chester

Yep, I understand your problem.

However I found that if you live in an appartment complex, a car cover tends to attract attention to your car. Some people have no respect for other peoples property.

I had a car cover on my car when I lived at home. I found that it was more of a pain in the butt when it rained or snowed. I didn't want to put it in my trunk when it was wet, so I was forced to wad it up and throw it in the corner of the garage.

When I went to live at college, I didn't take the cover cause I parked in the student parking. Drunk college students and the local bums were looking for stuff to steal. Even with the cover lock, they would try to take it off and when they couldn't they would get pissed off and scratch your car doors or kick the quarter panel. This happened to a friend of mine once. They beat the crap out of his car.

I found the best way to keep a car looking new is to watch where you park it. At work I park away from the main walk ways. People going by might brush up against your car. Same with Apartment complex and malls. I don't mind walking another 50-100 yards to protect my car.

Good luck!

Reply to
Mark