which code for no start

Changed the timing belt on my 2003 Impreza RS and now it won?t start. I have a couple of codes which seem to tell me the belt isn?t lined up right but i?ve checked it 5 times and i?m sure it?s okay [it?s not the first time i change it]. The 3 suspect codes are 336, 340, 341. Does either the crank or cam sensor have precedent over another ? What are the specs of those 2 sensors , or do i have to check the belt yet again?

Reply to
caveman

oh and i only have spark at the 1/2 side of the coil, nothing at the

3/4.

"caveman" wrote: > Changed the timing belt on my 2003 Impreza RS and now it won't > start. I have a couple of codes which seem to tell me the belt > isn't lined up right but i've checked it 5 times and i'm sure > it's okay [it's not the first time i change it]. The 3 suspect > codes are 336, 340, 341. Does either the crank or cam sensor > have precedent over another ? What are the specs of those 2 > sensors , or do i have to check the belt yet again?

Reply to
caveman

Yes.

I had crank and cam codes galore as well as cylinder misfire codes for nearly 8 goddamn months if you search my 2007 posting history. Turned out to have started after a timing belt change.

Turns out the timing belt tensioner wasn't pumped up enough whereby the belt had slipped and flattened a tooth of the belt. It would periodically slip back into place and things would run okay, and the whole thing was intermittent. The mechanic finally figured it out many months and sensor changes later, rebuilding the head was in there too which may not have been necessary. Overall, extremely irritating.

So yes, do check the timing belt alignment, and pull it off to verify you don't have any teeth that might look okay when it's installed, but are actually flattening out on ya under load.

And there's evidently a TSB about hand turning the engine 5 or so times to get the tensioner pumped up sufficiently but at least with teh new OEM Sube tensioner, that wasn't sufficient. I've now got an aftermarket tensioner with a spring backup on it.

Note all the above applies to a 2001 2.5L H4. Your engine may be different.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

just took the covers off again to see if something slipped etc., but everything is lined up. I think a pin test is next.

"Todd H." wrote: > caveman writes: > > > Changed the timing belt on my 2003 Impreza RS and now it > won.t start. > > I have a couple of codes which seem to tell me the belt > isn.t lined up > > right but i.ve checked it 5 times and i.m sure it.s okay > [it.s not the > > first time i change it]. The 3 suspect codes are 336, 340, > 341. Does > > either the crank or cam sensor have precedent over another ? > What are > > the specs of those 2 sensors , or do i have to check the > belt yet > > again? > > Yes. > > I had crank and cam codes galore as well as cylinder misfire > codes for > nearly 8 goddamn months if you search my 2007 posting history. > Turned > out to have started after a timing belt change. > > Turns out the timing belt tensioner wasn't pumped up enough > whereby > the belt had slipped and flattened a tooth of the belt. It > would > periodically slip back into place and things would run okay, > and the > whole thing was intermittent. The mechanic finally figured it > out > many months and sensor changes later, rebuilding the head was > in there > too which may not have been necessary. Overall, extremely > irritating. > > So yes, do check the timing belt alignment, and pull it off to > verify > you don't have any teeth that might look okay when it's > installed, but > are actually flattening out on ya under load. > > And there's evidently a TSB about hand turning the engine 5 or > so > times to get the tensioner pumped up sufficiently but at least > with > teh new OEM Sube tensioner, that wasn't sufficient. I've now > got an > aftermarket tensioner with a spring backup on it. > > Note all the above applies to a 2001 2.5L H4. Your engine may > be > different. > > Best Regards, > -- > Todd H. > 2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4 > Chicago, Illinois USA

Reply to
caveman