Which rotor?

About the only thing wrong with my new/used Outback now is a slightly warped rotor you can feel when gently braking. My mechanic says leave it alone for now, and it's not really that bad, but I was wondering... If you have a warped rotor, how do you know which wheel it is without checking each individual rotor off the car?

And, should rotors be replaced in pairs, or can you just replace the individual rotor?

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Turn or replace in pairs....always.

Reply to
John

Yes. more good info at;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks. Good article.

Reply to
Sheldon

Check this URL out:

It's probably NOT a warped rotors, but cementite deposits that are harder than the underlying iron; the iron wears away, the cementite does not, and the problem gets worse. There is no real cure--only a prevention. (Stop leaving your brakes depressed after a hard braking scenario.)

Reply to
k. ote

Aftermarket performance pads will solve the problem. I used Hawk Street Performance pads on my '02 Legacy GT - the transformation was remarkable. The vague, mushy pedal feel with factory pads became much firmer and fade is nonexistent now. The Hawk pads cost about what Subaru dealers charge (~2x auto store OEM parts) and are well worth the investment.

Reply to
Alan Ronemus

If there is cementite on the rotors, there is no solution. The rotors have to be turned, or replaced. Cementite won't just go away by switching pads.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with aftermarket pads though, that's great stuff.

Reply to
k. ote

I just found out from the previous owner that he put in aftermarket brake pads that didn't work very well and wore out very quickly, after which he put in OEM pads. That may have caused the problem. I assume if you can get a really abrasive pad in there it may "machine" the rotor enough to make a difference.

Reply to
Sheldon