Whine from rear end

Hello,

I have a 2000 Forrester with 55K miles, which has suddenly (4 to 6 weeks) developed a low pitch whine which seem to be coming from the back of the car. I have check obvious things like front and rear differential fluid levels. I think it might be tire whine because I note changes in volume as the road surface changes. However, I can't explain the relatively sudden, awareness of the noise. Anybody have suggestions on other things I should check?

Thank you very much!

Dave W

Reply to
DAW

Did you change one of the rear tires? If you did, it can be because of the circumference difference between the two tires locking up the differential. If note, it is also possible it could be a wheel bearing. They make a low-pitched while when they go.

Reply to
FNO

Rear tires sometimes increase in noise when closer to wearing out. This can be relatively sudden onset but IME is usually more like a drumming or rumble.

Bearing or something diff related sounds more likely. Hope you find a reasonably painless solution. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Last time this happened, I had some success with this technique:

1 pull over 2 remove mother in law from rear seat 3 depress accelerator

(Please pardon this levity. Couldn't help myself. :-) )

Whines from the rear that vary with speed can often be wheel bearing crying out for help. I've witnessed a wheel bearing fail, however without making any noise prior to it happening either. At any rate, it's far cheaper to replace them before they completely go versus if the bearing ring explodes, and you have a real mess involving ABS and the like.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I hear lots of sounds from my rear end, but "whine" would not typify what they sound like. Brrraattt, flupppp, bbrrooorkkkk, wsssshhssssssss, all of those occur, but no whine. Perhaps there be a schnauzer attached to the back of your jeans?

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rick K