Whirring noise; Please help

Can anyone estimate cause of an intermittent buzzing-whirring sound?

'95 Subaru Legacy Wagon, AWD, Auto. transmission, anti-lock brakes. Only

59,000 miles and excellent repair record.

PROBLEM: Sounds like tire tread noise on pavement, rather high-pitched. Noise diminishes as car slows and ceases when it stops. It is intermittent, no way to estimate when it will occur. Tires properly inflated.

All fluids have been checked at time of recent service. Uses no oil. Plan to change transmission fluid next oil change. Always carefully maintained.

Thanks in advance for a pro's best thinking on subject.

hd

Reply to
ExTex

wheel bearing?

Try dring in gentle left-right curves and listen if the noise follows a pattern

Reply to
nope

Agreed. I suppose the OP would have mentioned whether the problem only occurs when it's wet out. The bearings on my Saab would get very loud and grumbly when it was raining, but not a noise at all when it's dry.

Reply to
alex3324
1/ Easiest / cheapest ones first! Eliminate tyres as possibility by duplicating route 2 - 3 times & see if noise comes & /goes consistently. If so tyres sound like cause. 2/ Check for foreign material (stick / road debris fouling a disc, backing plate, driveshaft or tailshaft. That can sound v. srange AND avoid detection. 3/ Bearing suggestion is a good one. 4/ Have rotors or hubs been replaced / disturbed? If so, try copper grease on shaft splines then retorque. Else I suppose 5/ could always be fit a 15" sub and crank up the stereo .... Good luck!
Reply to
hippo