Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

Go to

and search for papers on the subject.

The following was extracted from 981443 - Extended Oil Drain Intervals - Conservation of Resources or Reduction of Engine Life (Part II)

"....The authors jointly presented a paper at the February 1995 SAE Congress (1). The main conclusion of the experience up to that time was:

"Used oil analysis of test cars in the European Market demonstrated that engine oils can be already exhausted at 6,000 km (» 3,700 miles) or could last up to 30,000 km (» 18,650 miles), depending on quality of the oil and use of the car....

"4. CONCLUSION

"For a considerable time it has been the objective for scientists and engineers around the world to optimise the use of resources on the one hand and on the other hand to reduce operational costs for cars by defining the ideal ODI. So far the best tools for the optimal definition of the ODI [Oil Drain Interval] are relatively simple engine calculation systems based on mileage, number of starts and average oil temperature.

"But also the oil quality has a major influence on the ODI. Since there is a wide variety of lubricants with different performance levels available in the market, it is necessary to develop a more intelligent system to include oil quality in the calculation.

"An important task is to detect the correct engine oil performance level. High performance engine oils are usually blended with extra high refined or synthetic base stocks at higher cost. But they have a range of benefits, especially reduced friction properties to improve fuel economy and emissions, reduced oil consumption and better wear protection properties. If this is also the case after several thousand miles of use, a bonus has to be included by calculating the ODI. On the other hand the ODI has to be shortened if a poor oil quality is used.

"But the ODI is not only heavily influenced by the quality of the engine oil, but also by the design and the use of the engine which are major influencing factors. Therefore ideally we have to develop on-board monitoring systems to detect the condition of the engine oil during its use. Sensors able to do so are under development, but not yet available for production.

"Combining the data stored in the engine management systems with "in situ" conductivity measurements is a step forward towards optimised ODI's. The experience and the high number of tests accumulated within the cooperation of both companies over several years resulted in the new ASSYST service system. With this system the car owners will benefit from an optimal mileage calculated up to the next oil change. But there will also be a cost benefit since the customer is able to select the most appropriate oil quality level (to benefit from high performance oils) and increase the lifetime of his car...."

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks, C.E. By the way, I was googling yesterday, looking for a Timken lubricity tester, and found a link to a video where this (somewhat elementary) took was being used to evaluate several motor oil lubricants and additives. It is worth a quick look. I will try to find it and post it on here.

Reply to
hls

Here is that link.. Interesting, but not definitive.

Reply to
hls

I have been there before, but at $12 per paper, I didnt go any further.

Reply to
hls

Especially when you do a little research on the "winner" of that test, Motor Latte.

?t=99

Reply to
nobody >

You can find a number of items which will give spectacular test numbers on this kind of lubricity unit. Whether they do anything at all inside an engine, and whether they promote longer and more trouble free engine life is quite another thing.

I always harp on wanting to see hard data. For something to be of value and interest, it needs to be tested under relevant protocols, over a variety of conditions, and with enough population in the test set to assure that the data is significant.

Reply to
hls

I have to update my kill file on Mike Hunter frequently. He trolls with unbaited hooks.

Reply to
hls

The feds didnt say that the product didnt work. They said that Slick 50 was making claims they they could not substantiate. Not false claims, but unsubstantiated claims. There IS a difference.

I have seen no hard data that shows conclusively that Slick 50 does anything worthwhile.

Reply to
hls

That is not the way I heard it. All the testing that I have read does show that slick 50 reduces engine friction. That means you can get better gas mileage (something like 3% better IIRC). The problem is that all the long term testing done on slick 50 also showed that it reduces engine life. That is a paradox that is not completely understood (there are plenty of theories). Some of the testing showed that using slick 50 can shorten the life of an engine by as much as half. The advertising for slick 50 either implied or directly stated that the reduced friction would result in less wear and therefore longer engine life, but that conclusion was a pure leap of faith that wasn't ever supported by any evidence.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Heron McKeister

I dont doubt that it might show some friction reduction. It WILL burnish into metal surfaces, of that I am positive. But I have seen no data at this point that would convince me that it is either a good or a bad product.

Reply to
hls

Quaker state still markets it. Their current claim appears to be:

"reconditions engine parts and gives your engine staying power, keeping your engine performing at it best"

This thread started by raising the question "is an oil pressure problem due to Fram oil filter?". Later on it was revealed the ownwr of the engine was also getting regular slick 50 wallet flushes. But of course that has nothing to do with the oil pressure issue.

-jim

Reply to
jim