Will they ever come out with a 5-speed automatic WRX??

I drive with 2 feet in cars that have auto transmissions thus I wouldn't buy a manual trans car. I like and would probably buy a WRX if they offered a 5-speed auto trans -- I can still shift gears manually minus the clutch. What do others think of a WRX automatic? I can't be the only one who prefers an automatic over a manual -- could I? Just a thought. I really do like the WRX -- I currently own a '91 Eagle Talon turbo (mitsubishi engine 4g63 -- same as the new lancer evolution) and my '91 is ,well, you can probably guess what trans I got in there, that's right, an AUTOMATIC and don't laugh too hard 'cause I know of a guy who runs an 11.9 1/4 mi. @ 125 mph, stock crank, rods, and pistons

-- beefed up trans of course (4-speed) no nitrous and its a daily driver! '91 talon 2.0L. Now, even though I own a close relative of the EVO and stock the EVO IS a bit quicker than the WRX, I would still buy the WRX over the EVO even if the price was the same because I've driven several subarus lately and I'm very impressed with how they soak up city (NYC) potholes and how they handle on smooth tarmac. So far I've driven the outback, legacy, and I forgot the name of the other model but was very impressed with the driveabiity of these cars whatever the road conditions and if the WRX has the ability to even come close to driving on less than perfect terrain as these other subies do

-- then I'm already sold on this car because the performance numbers are excellent and any mods I would do would just be GRAVY!

'ADMIRING that WRX' -- Greg

Reply to
Greg

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 03:05:35 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Greg) scribbled:

Why ruin a good car with an automatic transmission? ;-)

Cheers, Phil

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

Subaru's not a fan of the auto-shifters. I don't think they put buttons to shift or a manumatic lever on their automatics. If they do, they certainly don't advertise it. In other words, I doubt a

5-speed auto anytime soon.

Question: Why would you use 2 feet for an automatic transmission other than to launch 0-60 or quarter miles?

Reply to
JaySee

To get on/off the gas/brake faster. You can do it more quickly using both feet than moving one foot from one pedal to the other.

Reply to
someone

There is a new auto 5 speed on the upcoming Legacy model.

Reply to
Orienteer

Learn to drive correctly.

Reply to
Ian Firth

also, for the same reason one would left-foot brake in a MT car... to keep the turbo spooled up by working against the load of the brakes. this is generally done in the start/middle of a corner.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

It would be nice if Subaru would offer a 5-spd autostick, like those offered by Acura, Mazda, Volkswagen, Audi, and more. These are still fun to drive, while allowing the manual-shift-challenged to still take them for a spin.

I don't have a lot of hope for this happening anytime soon. Automatic transmissions are a weakness for Subaru. Even the current 4 speeds are poorly implemented, if you look at performance time differences between manual and automatic, the gaps for Subaru are much wider than for many other cars. They tend to be very slow on downshifting to a lower gear when trying to pass.

So they are late to the game on standard 5 speeds, even later on autosticks, and trailing the pack on 4 speed performance.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dana

So as you're slowing the car, and accelerating at the same time, where does the energy dissipate ?

You can't rev the engine in gear as you are decelerating unless the clucth is slipping.

Reply to
Ian Firth

ian, the car is still moving at this point. you're slowing down, but the engine is still rotating, right? the drivetrain is solidly locked with no slippage.

you're working the brakes extra hard, since they're not only slowing down the car, but also working against the power of the engine. but it keeps exhaust gasses hot and flowing, which is what the turbo likes to see to remain spooled.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Yes, which is why if the engine RPMs increase, so will the vehicle speed.

Sorry. It can't possibly work that way.

If a car is decelerating (entire drivetrain slowing down), the engine RPM cannot increase (as the original poster stated, keeping the turbo spooled), without the clutch slipping, being engaged, or the car not being in gear.

Reply to
Ian Firth

That makes sense, but doesn't sound like what the guy above was explaining.

Reply to
Ian Firth

To put it simply, because you are putting more fuel and air into the engine, more exhaust is produced, which keeps the turbo spinning, even though the engine is still reving at the same rate, because you have the brakes on (to stop from flying off the corner!).

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

ian, who the hell said anything about engine rpms increasing? it surely wasn't me, or anybody in the thread leading up to my posts. i said you left-foot brake to keep the TURBO SPOOLED.

see comment above, and go back and read my posts. engine rpms are either steady or decreasing while left-foot braking under throttle. you are not accelerating, or trying to accelerate--you are getting ready to.

this isn't rocket science!

ken gilbert

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Ian, think of this scenario, 'lugging' the engine up a grade in X gear at Q RPM versus a flat run in X gear at Q rpm. You need more throttle to do the former. This creates more heat and more exhaust. The 'racer' is effectively 'lugging' the engine around the corner. I never considered this before, not being a racer and having never owned a turbo equipped car - but it does make sense to me now. I wonder if a capacitive discharge powered electric drive or some other type of 'intermittent use' motor could be used to maintain turbo RPMs in these conditions? fun to think about

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Ian Firth wrote:

Reply to