wimpy horn

OK, I feel silly asking this, but has anyone replaced a horn on a Subaru? This horn is whiny and not very loud.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Not in my Subaru, never really had to use it. In my Starlet however, i've got a large triple air horn for when people fail to see me or think i'll move.

-- mark

98 Starlet Life 1.3 MY02 Forester 2.5XS
Reply to
Mark H

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I thought that my horn was wimpy, too, but then I discovered that one was not working at all.

Here is a tip:

- Disconnect one and try it. See if there is any difference. There should be since one is working @ 350Hz and the other is @ 550Hz (if memory serves me correctly).

- Try it again but this time disconnect the other one.

- If no difference then something is wrong with your horn(s) since mine are good after I fixed one of the connectors.

- Before I did this simple/cheap solution I replaced mine with air-horn from Canadiantire.com and man what a difference it was. I had to take it back since I left my car in my garage for about month and a half and it (air compressor) corroded (bummer). I put my old horn and that's when it dawned on me. ;-)

Btw, this is all on Outback Wagon 2002 2.5L 4AT.

Cheers, Voja

Tom Re> OK, I feel silly asking this, but has anyone replaced a horn on a

Reply to
Voja

I got a pair of 'highway blasters' at Autozone for $20. Now my OBW sounds like a mid-70's Buick, which is way better than the classic Japanese-style beep. Lots louder, too. :-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

I replaced mine with the FIAMM ones, and was very pleased. In Detroit a horn is a requirement for protection against those that fall asleep at red lights and drift into your lane on the freeway.

-Kurt

Tom Re> OK, I feel silly asking this, but has anyone replaced a horn on a

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

I have the Hella triple-tone in mine; way louder, and more pleasing sound IMO. Install was relatively easy, but had to fabricate a bracket (from a length of aluminum angle) to mount everything. The damned "domestic" deer _still_ ignore it, tho . . . ;-) The key to making a horn (at least an air horn) LOUD, is to run a separate 12ga lead and relay (as per the Hella instructions) for it. Makes a huge difference vs running off of the existing horn wiring.

ByeBye! S.

on 3/29/2005 5:22 PM Tom Reingold said the following:

I agree with those who mention the Fiamm CTE replacement horns. Available at Advance, AutoZone, etc. They have a loud, rich tone. I think the German manufacturers use these too.

DJA