wind noise

05 Outback Wagon 2.5i. has anyone experienced excessive windnoise from the front windshield area and/or around the side view mirror area? if so, any advice on what to do and/or your repair experience? AJ
Reply to
AJB

lower the windows and squeeze the black 'shark fin' together.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

i have no idea what you are referring to.

Reply to
AJB

The black gusset/seal to which the mirror is attached on the outside and, if so equipped, the tweeter is attached on the inside. Just use your hands/palms to squeeze it together. If that does not reduce/solve the noise issue. You will need to use pieces of masking tape aroun the mirror/windshiels/wipers to help pinpoint where the noise is generated. This question comes up weekly. Try a search on it with Google 'groups' search function.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
David Crist

thanks so much. i'll give it a try.

Reply to
AJB

Reply to
Bruce

I would take it back to the dealer as it should be under warantee. My

2003 had excessive wind noise in the area of the front doors and the windshield. The dealer stated they were replacing a seal in that area on the door. They did the work and it stopped. Make the dealer fix it. bruce
Reply to
Bruce

here is where i am with this:

i posted the message here and elsewhere because i have taken it to the dealer 3 times now. Each time they claimed they fixed it and it was NOT fixed. i have now spent alot of my time working with them on this and i have lost time/money and am not satisfied with the result. i dont know if this fits within the "lemon" category. but i have given them enough opportunities to fix it. today im going to try the tape thing myself. and then i'll call the Owner of the dealership to explore some options. with the time that has expired during this repair process i have lost both time/money of my time and depreciation on the car, which is significant. i am boxed in with the losses, and they know it. now its my turn to try and get them to accept the loss.

thank you for your comment.

Reply to
AJB

If it's the same issue as mine, tucking in the mirror will make it go away, and if it does, then the fix is to seal up the elbow so air doesn't whistle through it. It is a high whistling noise, right? :-)

Reply to
k. ote

Perhaps if you described the noise in a bit more detail..?

Does it only happen at a certain speed? Certain crosswind? When there's no passengers in the car?

Does tucking in the mirror fix it?

Reply to
k. ote

Reply to
AJB

It will be a nuisance, but I'm pretty sure your dealer is correct. However, I would confirm that with a check by putting tape (use masking tape, or something else that's easy to remove without a mess later...) over the area that seems to be generating the whistle. Be generous with the area you cover. If the noise goes away or even reduces significantly, a new seal will be needed.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

Your issue is not the same as mine. Mine is a whistling--as in an actual whistling, not just rushing air--as in an actual note of sound, and not just the sound of fast air through treetops. It happens only at about

160kph (more or less depending on cross-wind) and immediately ceases if I tuck the mirrors in. It differs depending on who is sitting in the car, and whether there are passengers and how heavy they are.

Others report similar problems, but it's clear the noise is coming *only* from the joint in the side rearview mirrors, and the fix is to either learn to tuck the mirrors in, or prevent the flow of air over and across the mirror joints.

I do not consider this a flaw by any stretch of the imagination.

Every WRX that I know of has this same issue. Every STi that I know of has this same issue.

My 2002 WRX had it, and now my 2004 STi has it. I am not concerned, because the fix is so simple.

Reply to
k. ote

From all the positive feedback i've received, i've isolated the problem and gotten it resolved to my satisfaction along with the dealer. thanks to all. and

to: ""Tony Burns (permanent dismisser of Andy, AJS and ]v[etaphoid" " thanks for your negativity and un-helpful thought.

Reply to
AJB

...and the fix was.........?

Reply to
CompUser

sorry about that, we removed, reinstalled the glass windshield along with new seals.

highly recomend the following tape: 3M blue painters masking tape. holds and seals very tight, yet removes easily and with no tape residue. duct tape is strong and seals, but leaves a terrible mess.

thank you VERY MUCH to all that helped !

Reply to
AJB