WIndow Crank - 1992 L Series

hey,

I know this is possibly a stupid question .....

how do I get off the window crank in a 1992 L Series Sportswagon. I don't want to snap the thing with a screwdriver if I need a special tool etc.

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Phill

Reply to
tiger

Not sure... but there probably is a clip holding it on, you will need a tool like this.

Mike

As Mike (the other one) says, probably a clip behind the handle. If you push in on the door panel to open a gap behind the base of the handle and peer in with mirror and flashlight, you will probably see it. It's usually a horseshoe shaped wire clip. Once you identify where the open end is, a neat trick I learned from a Haynes manual is to slip a cloth shop towel under the handle base so it is at the open end of the clip, and pull both ends of the rag so the cloth snags the ends of the wire clip and unhooks it. The clip is much easier to re-engage: start the clip into the groove on the handle, push the handle in place, and press the clip the rest of the way with a screwdriver or similar.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Naw, only the ones that go unasked until it's too late . . .

It's held on to the shaft with a "C" shaped wire clip. Usually the closed end of the clip is toward the crank handle, if not, it will be at 180degrees. Find a large paper clip, straighten it out, bend a small hook into one end, and a finger-sized loop into the other. Push back the door panel as far as you can, and fish around with your hook until you find the closed end of the clip, hook it, and pull it outward, away from the shaft. Be careful that the clip doesn't disappear behind the panel or into the gravel in your driveway. There will probably be some additional bits and pieces of trim associated with the crank; note how they were installed. To re-install, snap the clip back onto the crank (there will be notches to fit it into), install any additional trim parts, and snap the crank back onto the shaft. Position it such that it is facing down, and away from your knee when the glass is closed for best results. Once you have done one, you will never be troubled by this again; every manufacturer uses the same basic arrangement for their manual windows AFAIK. Now if only there was something like a standard for the inside door handle surround . . . :-P

ByeBye! S.