Windshield washer fluid pump leaks

Hi All,

I just discovered that the windshield washer fluid pump on my '99 Forester is leaking, just a little, with each use. It is enough that I noticed that it didn't take as long to empty the tank as it used to.

My questions: Has anyone attempted to fix the seals on such a pump? Is it better to just pay the ~$55.00 for a new one?

Thanks!

Reply to
StefForester

If it's like a Toyota, all it is is an O ring.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Since the pump seems to be two plastic halves glued together, you sure the *pump* is leaking? Maybe it's the seal between the pump and the reservoir tank? You could replace that o-ring or rubber grommet (if the auto or hardware store doesn't have one, I suppose you could use sealant in a squeeze tube). Or maybe it's a split hose on the pump's nipple? If there's enough slack, snip off the cracked end and slide on the freshly snipped end; if not, replace the tubing.

$55 for a new pump? That must be the dealer's price. Does it also include installation labor and shop supplies? In my area, Napa Auto lists a windshield washer pump for a 1999 Subaru Forester for $19/$18 for front/rear, Oreilley Auto Parts for $32/$22, and Advance Auto Parts for $25 or $22 (they only show the front pump).

Reply to
VanguardLH

I recently had to replace the pump on my wife's 03 OBW. I used an aftermarket one and it came with some wires and a new gasket (like a fat O ring)

It works better than the original now!

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Normally these pumps leak by the motor shaft, back into the pump motor and out the motor openings.

What I did on the 2003 OB was to buy the after market replacement; after taking the terminal block from the old OEM pump motor and cutting the brush holder, soldered the old pump's terminal block to the new pump wires, so i could use the car's wire harness without modification.

Good luck,

AS

StefForester wrote:

Reply to