Winter driving

Even with all wheel drive, we have to be careful in the winter.

What do you do when some dick in a truck pulls out in front of you?

Frank

EVERYONE has all-wheel brakes. The same 4 patches of rubber on the road for your car is the same for all the other cars, and they all have brakes on each wheel. All-wheel drive only helps when it's *pulling* your vehicle.

Reply to
VanguardLH

HarHarHar! That looks like it should be some sorta twisted Xmas card; "Merry F____n' Christmas" ;-)

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

Frank, Steve, just what we need for Xmas :-)) Mind you, I do find driving with winter tyres soewhat stiffer! Happy, harder, safer, Christmas ;-))

Reply to
fopetesl

it's a little more than that - when going around a corner having AWD reduces the torque on the drive wheels by 1/2 leaving more for lateral friction needed to keep you on the road.

Anyone do this funny trick: when driving in slick conditions, I put my foot on the brake to slow down but it was sheer ice. So all four wheels locked up and because I was in gear the engine stalled! So I let my foot off the brake, the car jerked a bit but then the engine was running again!

Reply to
Dominic Richens

My Subaru has a skid-indicator brake-pedal shaker. I was appalled the first time it came into action, it feels like there are badly grinding broken gears, but it's only in your brake pedal, so I figured out what was happening pretty quick.

They just want you to know you are skidding, and should consider taking your foot off the brake so you can steer and choose to maneuver around the obstacle instead of failing to brake, and skidding into it.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

That's the ABS. A great peice of kit on ice.

Reply to
JD

ABS prevents the wheels from locking. Therefore, you can still steer while braking.

Reply to
John Varela

Are you f'ing serious? I honestly hope you're kidding

Reply to
John

I just hope that nobody takes that post seriously since keeping your foot in the ABS will slow you, and still allow you to steer since it will keep the wheels from locking up. I do find the post funny though. Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the cop pulls over Homer and writes him a ticket to fix a light on the back of his car that was blinking while he negotiated the turn.

Bill

Reply to
weelliott