Would like to add Cruise control to my 98 forester

I recently bought a 98 forester, it has all the switches adn what not for cruise control but doesnt actually have it...does anyone know of kits to accomplish this or what parts and a detailed explanation of how to..as well as cost? if any of you have any experience with this please let me know! thanks-Jonathan

Reply to
JonathanMichaelCosgrove

Have you tried activating the CC by pressing the CC button on the lower left side of the dashboard?

Reply to
flyfisher7

Generally, a cruise control system consists of 3 parts, the switches (on/off, set/resume/accel etc, brake/clutch switches, etc) the servo that operates the throttle when the cruise is engaged, generally by vacuum except on diesels, and an electronic control that directs the servo in response to input from the switches & either the vehicle's speed signal from the ecu or magnets on a driveshaft. You seem to be saying you have the 1st part, but not one or both of the other 2. It's hard to imagine a situation where a car would have been manufatured with the switches but not one or more of the other bits. Maybe they were removed because of defect, in which case I would think you could just replace them, assuming you can determine exactly what is missing, and that what you already have is complete & functional. Having said that, I've added aftermarket cruises to 2 vehicles, most recently one of these to my 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO:

Works as a factory unit & is relatively easy to install if you're fairly skilled mechanically/electronically. If you would need to add a new OEM servo &/or electronic control unit to the car, these would probably cost more than an entire aftermarket system (I think mine was about $200 in 2003, not including installation which I did myself), though of course you may be able to get the needed factory parts used. Dan

Reply to
Dan

sell your forester now before its too late, dont put any money into it

Reply to
glasceus

Did you personaly have a bad experience with a forester? If so explain it and be helpfull, the last thing anyone needs to hear is rants of a lone person bitching.

Reply to
JonathanMichaelCosgrove