wrx average mpg

I just cleaned about 2 years of gas receipts out of the armrest and checked mileage...

n = 50 mean = 22.18 mpg sigma = 1.36 min = 18.93 max = 25.17

US gallons, '02 wrx wagon, 5speed manual, 13mile commute on mostly highway plus weekend trips.

Reply to
-rick-

Without some indication of the type of driving the numbers are meaningless. For example, I have a 2000 Yukon XL. If I drive city-only, I get 12 mpg (Not good overall, but really pretty good for something that huge.) If I drive highway only I get 20 mpg (again, really good when you consider the size of the thing and the fact that most midsize sedans get only about 25 mpg highway).

If I did a blend, I could get anything in the middle, but the information would be useless unless the exact blend were noted..

Reply to
GRL

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Prior to performing aftermarket upgrades on my car I was getting an average of 19-21 mpg. I admittedly drive more aggressively than most people on the road. After my upgrades (Turbo, FMIC, Catless Exhaust, UTEC, EBC, 850cc injectors, Walbro Fuel Pump, K&N w/ airbox mod, grounding modification, full perrin/tein suspension system) I am now getting on average about 23-26 mpg! This includes averages taken from track days @ a local road course/autocross course as well as days at the dragstrip.

Reply to
WRXtreme

Are you looking for more detail than what he already said??

"13mile commute on mostly highway plus weekend trips."

Reply to
DG

I'm averaging about 26 mpg. I drive about 73 miles per day West Bloomfield to Grosse Pointe. Some stop and go but mostly highway. I found I get better milage with Mobile premium than with Sunoco premium.

Reply to
Sam Soltan

Drive more aggressively? How do you drive aggressively?

You mean more recklessly

course/autocross

Reply to
allyf

I think he means cutting people off, hanin' the bird and running people into the ditch.

Reply to
oothlagre

You say "potato"...

I know when *I* use the term aggressive, I mean that I will make the effort to pass you on a two-lane highway if you're going less than 5 mph above the posted speed limit (yes, I wrote "above") and a safe passing opportunity presents itself. Feel free to think that this is reckless, but I sleep fine.

I'll tell ya what: You cut me a little slack for wanting to get where I'm going when I drive and I'll cut you some slack for driving with your high-beams on during the day. Or shining them into my rearview mirror at night. Or using your fog lights when it isn't foggy. Or pulling out in front of me instead of waiting the three seconds for me to drive past you. Or speeding up after I pass you and then tailgating me at a much higher speed than inspired me to pass you in the first place. Or driving 15 mph over the limit while there are four lanes (and therefore an opportunity for me to pass you) and then slowing down to 5 mph *under* the limit when the road drops back to only two lanes (making passing you more difficult and, yes Virginia, dangerous). Or merging into my lane without bothering to check whether somebody else is already there. Or refusing to move over when I'm trying to merge onto the expressway. Or driving exactly the same speed as the vehicle next to you on the expressway with forty nine other cars lined up behind the both of you. Or camping out in the middle lane of a

6-lane highway with traffic zooming around you on both sides. Or any of the other bone-headed things that so many self-described "safe" drivers do to me and everybody else every damn day.

On balance, I think that my habit of exceeding the speed limit and passing slower drivers is about the least dangerous thing you're likely to encounter on the road. Speed is seriously over-demonized in this country. Far more accidents happen because docile drivers aren't paying attention than are caused by self-described "aggressive" drivers. Yet it's the aggressive drivers who get the tickets and have to live with the stigma of somehow being bad people. I'm sick of it. In case you couldn't tell.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

No, I think I mean I have a perfect driving record for all 15 years that I have been driving (well, one seatbelt violation a few years ago when I thought I was "too cool" to wear one).

I do tend to accelerate more quickly than most do, however I don't dragrace at the lights, that is what the track is for. I also tend to rev the engine higher before shifting gears than most people do. I very seldom exceed the speed limits (ok, on interstates I go about 5mph over the limit, but you know what I mean) nor do I exceed my driving capabilities.

How can I say this for certain?

Well, I have 3 (4 if you count my wifes WRX as well) very well tuned cars (2002 WRX, 1994 Nissan 240SX Silvia Conversion, 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, and my wifes 2003 WRX) that I use for various forms of racing (Drag, Drift, Autocross, Roadcourse, Rally Cross). Being a racer has taught me to pay more attention to those around me because at high speeds being aggressive in response to what happens around you can save your life as well as the life of others.

Care to stick your foot any farther in your mouth?

modification,

Reply to
WRXtreme

well, then you have a different definition of "aggressive driving" than we do here. "aggressive driving" here will get you a big fat ticket, maybe time in jail.

Reply to
oothlagre

5 over? Around here you would be watching the rest of traffic pass you by on the interstate.

Cheers!

Reply to
Lenny

I do a 130 mile commute (round trip) in a 2003 WRX, mixed mountain and valley driving, most of it at highway speed. I get between 22 and 24. Sounds like that's pretty average.

Reply to
Chauncey Gardiner

Around here 5 over will result in a $103 fine. Actually 1mph over will result in that, but its not likely that you'll get nailed for going 71 in a

70....75 and they start watching, 80 and you are busted (and paying $113 by that point). The other state that I drive in frequently has a 75mph speed limit, so going 80 there is fairly common for me. And, to be 100% honest I do tend to follow what the other traffic is doing, if they go 85, I go 85, if they go 75, I go 75...etc.
Reply to
WRXtreme

I have been casually watching my fuel economy for 36k in my 2002 WRX Wagon. My average is about 16mpg, my worst tank was low 13's and I have never gotten over 20mpg out of a tank. You would think after two years I could keep my foot out of it-- I can't.

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo

I envy you. You must live in the country or at least not have too much traffic or police to stifle your enthusiasm.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

Reply to
Edward Hayes

"-rick-" wrote: | n = 50 | mean = 22.18 mpg | sigma = 1.36 | min = 18.93 | max = 25.17 | | US gallons, '02 wrx wagon, 5speed manual, 13mile commute on mostly highway plus | weekend trips.

My '02 wrx wagon with 36k miles and roof bike racks averages around 21 mpg, which is mostly city and short highway (

Reply to
Brent Burton
850cc > > injectors, Walbro Fuel Pump, K&N w/ airbox mod, grounding modification, > full > > perrin/tein suspension system) I am now getting on average about 23-26 > mpg! > > This includes averages taken from track days @ a local road > course/autocross > > course as well as days at the dragstrip. > >
Reply to
William S. Hubbard
Reply to
William S. Hubbard