WRX cd changer problems

Just got a used wrx radio/6cd changer and it dosn't want to properly load the cds. It usually attempts to load, and sounds like its seaching for tracks, then ejects. Somtimes it also sounds like the disk is scubbing -like it hasn't been picked up properly. The very odd time it will load a cd up, but its rare.

Wondering if this is something that is fixable or not. Changers in the car, so will probable just let it jiggle for a few miles to see if it self cures. However I'm doubtful and expect it will be pulled, but wonder if its possible to clean or lube these beasts. Anyone ever do this?

TIA F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

What kind of CD's are you loading? Some home made CD's cause players to act as you describe. Otherwise, if your handy with tools and small parts you can take the lid off the thing and see if the mechanism is messed up. It's not too hard.

Reply to
Greg

Well that's interesting: I just had the brand-new CD changer in my '02 WRX replaced for doing exactly the same thing--or what sounds like exactly the same thing. You should be careful--mine sounded like it was trying to spin up, but in actuality was spinning right against the data portion of the CDs themselves: scratching the hell out of my CD collection!

Check your CD's for round scratches about the size of the pad on your index finger and use burned CDs only.

Reply to
kothog

Thanks for the heads up.

F.Plant