WRX Coolant Leak - No Obvious source

While driving to work today (2004 WRX) had steam coming from under hood with odor of hot coolant. Stopped to investigate but found no evidence of fluid anywhere in engine compartment. All hoses tight, temp gauge never rose, so couldn't have lost much. Any suggestions on hidden connections (intercooler???) that I've got to find? Will check fluid level when engine cools and fill for ride home, but can't afford to have car sidelined over busy week coming up so must repair over weekend.

Reply to
suburboturbo

Check for a puncture in the rad. It's happened to me. You really need a pressure test to find the leak. The good news is if that's the problem you can get the rad fixed easily by a mobile repair service.

Reply to
Clive

w.emgpickups.co.ukwww.tube-shop.comwww.coreoneproduct.comwww.whirlwindusa.c= omwww.espshop.co.uk

Good suggestion, but just checked and it doesn't seem to be the issue. Radiator dry on the outside, full on the inside. Only moisture on the ground is beneath the drip tube from the overflow bottle, which was low, but couldn't say how much was in it yesterday. Should mention that the short block was replaced (under warranty) in April when it threw a connecting rod. Worst fear now is that there's a head gasket leak. May have to go back to the dealer. Not as bad as it sounds. They've taken good care of me, even loaned me a Jaguar S- type when they had the WRX in the shop for 3 weeks. Should make it home today - didn't steam until 12 miles into my 15 mile commute. Will keep the revs down and the road speed up to moderate the temp.

Reply to
suburboturbo

Check on top of the engine. There are hoses that go to the heater here. They may be metal tubes. Look for water on top of the engine and a pin hole in the hoses or tubes. When it leaks here, the symptoms you describe fit. You may need to warm the engine up to find it.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Nope. Went over it thoroughly after driving home yesterday. By keeping the revs down in 5th and somehow making every green light on my trip, caught a whiff of burning coolant but no steam until after I parked it. Leak is coming from front of engine, down below. Could be water pump housing gasket; pump and timing belt were replaced with short block. Going into the dealer monday morning. Just hoping it's that simple so I won't have to drive a borrowed 1992 buick for too long. Thanks for everyone's input.

Reply to
suburboturbo

Now I feel pretty lame. Just a pinhole leak in the lower rad hose. Could have fixed that myself. While it's in the shop having the dealer drain and refill the differentials. Know it's not critical, but want to keep everything kosher since I've got a 6/60 B2B Subaru warranty and want all the service records intact since I may sell the car and transfer the last 2y/20k to someone esle.

Reply to
suburboturbo