WRX gear oil

I just replaced my MT and rear diff oil on my 02 wrx wagon. It's got

30k on it and I put in Amsoil Series 2k gear oil. The MT oil came out looking brand new. There were some metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug, but the oil itself was clear. The rear diff oil was another story. It came out gray/black! Any comments? I drive it 60% highway. No racing or rally. I don't understand why it looked so bad at 30K. Thanks.
Reply to
tom

One possibility is that some molybdenum disulfide (MOLY) was added to the oil. Similar in appearance and action to graphite, it is sometimes used where two hard pieces of metal (such as a ring and pinion geat set) slide across each other. It supplies extra extreme pressure lubrication. I don't think it is used in transmissions due to it's ability to keep the synchro rings from "gripping" the cones properly.

Reply to
null_pointer

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I found the same thing in my rear diff (also an 02 WRX wagon, actually) - I also noted what was almost like a grey gel on the bottom of the differential case (this was at 6k miles, too - I was just doing my normal "swap everything over to synthetic" treatment, rather than waiting for the gear oil to get bad...) - I was curious if some of the threadlocker which Subaru uses got in there (they appear to be pretty generous with it, and it is black in color...) - be curious to see how you like the Amsoil 2k in the transmission - I have heard people gripe that it is a little to slick for proper synchro function (no experience with it myself) - I went with Motul Gear 300 in the trans and rear diff.

As an aside, in very aggressive driving, you can overheat the rear diff, and cook the fluid a bit (which is why the STi has a temp. sensor in the rear differential) - obviously didn't happen here, but just something to watch out for.

Reply to
David & Caroline