WRX in Saab 9.2X clothing

To cure my curiosity I went and looked at the "new" Saab 9.2X. Sure enough - sticker says Fuji Heavy Industries. My question to the salesman was whether they came straight to Canada from Japan or vis Sweden. He didn't even know it was a Sube!! Service mgr said it came straight from Japan after getting a new nose treatment at the factory and was not sold in Europe. I don't know if it is sold anywhere else. It comes 2.5 and turbo 2.0.

Reply to
********

The Saab 92X is direct from the Subaru factory. From what I understand, there isn't a single modification to the Saab version (other than the name plate). Anyone would be a fool to buy the Saab version, when you will save thousands buying the Subaru.

Reply to
Nicolaas

Why do you think it's only sold in the USA?

Barry (an American)

Reply to
Bonehenge

You're wrong there. There are minor modifications to the suspension. The entire front end (hood, hood scoop, front bumper, grill, headlights) of the 92X Aero is not the same as on the WRX wagon and looks more like a Saab. The hood of the 92X is completely rounded at the front, while the WRX hood is notched and dips down. The wheels offerered are far different. The interior materials are different and the 92X also comes standard with automatic climate control. That steering wheel sure doesn't look like the standard leather-wrapped Momo in the WRX. The layout and styling of the CD player is different.

Whether any of these (mostly styling) difference is worth the bump in price is a matter of taste. I'd rather not get the Saab, but that's just me.

Reply to
y_p_w

I apologize. You are correct. In fact, I just read that Saab bumped up the warranty to 4 years/50,000 miles.

Reply to
Nicolaas

And how about all the Saab service techs who know nothing about repairing a Subie?

Reply to
BBB

Bonehenge wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's sold pretty much anywhere you can get a new Saab (certainly here in Canada as well as Europe).

Here are some of the changes that Saab engineers came up with even though the car is made in the same Japanese plant as the WRX (source ):

Aside from the external cosmetic differences between a 9-2X and a WRX wagon, there are added interior features, including a sunroof, automatic climate control, additional sound insulation and heated leather seats, all of which up the level of sophistication to that of any European car.

The 9-2X's main mechanical changes occurred with the Saab-specific suspension tuning. Suspension damping is altered accordingly to Aero, Linear or base models. The Aero model we have is tuned with 10- and 20% less compression damping in the front and rear, respectively. Rebound damping was increased by 5% in the front and reduced by 5% in the rear over the WRX wagon's stock suspension.

All 9-2Xs feature aluminum rear lower control arms and stiffer wishbone bushings to help the car's on-center and high-speed feel.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

understand,

I looked into the US-spec'ed changes for the 2005 WRX. Automatic climate control is now standard. A moonroof has been an option for some time.

wishbone

I believe the aluminum control arms are now also in the 2005 WRX.

Reply to
y_p_w