WRX-STI or EVO

I agonized over that question for a bit and ended up choosing the EVO. I would like to hear from someone that chose the Subaru. One thing I don't like about the EVO is the hood scoop allows water to enter the engine compartment. I'm not sure why I didn't choose the WRX, probably because of the new front end, looks really strange.

Dave

Reply to
David McDermott

Very strange, choosing a car like this on looks. After all, both are spectacularly ugly . Did you drive both? General impression is that the Scooby is the more complete all-round car and the Evo is the better track-day car. Which were you looking for?

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

I did. I really love it, but I didn't test-drive the Lancer Evolution, so I can't compare so well. The two cars seemed pretty equal, though, so I doubt you can make too wrong a choice. I went for the Subaru because it was certainly no more expensive, it seemed to be a bit faster at lower speeds (which is mostly where I am anyway) and there were simply more of them for sale in the area - it was hard to find Evos.

The only thing that annoys me, where I don't know if the Evo does any better, is that the skirt at the front corners is fairly low to the ground, so if you're pulling out onto a road and the driveway meets it at a bit of an angle then you have to go real slow if you don't want to scrape the paint off the skirt bottom! I wish I had just a couple more inches of ground clearance at the front.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

Reply to
Bryan Lee

I bought the WRX the first year it came to america. Subaru stood by their product, but it spent a lot of time in the shop. I will never ever ever buy a first model year ever again.

In the first year:

1)fuel Pump temerature sensor failed, replaced fuel pump. 2)Engine leaked oil that dripped on the Turbo making nasty smells and smoke. After four trips to the dealer they had to change the block as it had a manufacturing flaw in the casting. 3)I've been driving a stick shift for 30 years, never had a tranmission problem. The first and 2nd gear syncros died regularlly, replaced them twice under warenty, after that I just lived with it. 4)Clutch replaced as part of a service notice from Subaru.

However the WRX was so much fun that I just traded my 4 yr old 75K mile WRX in and bought a new STI.

Paul

Reply to
pbreed

I have a 2003 Evo. Love it to death. I'm sure some water probably enters via the hood vent (though less than you might think, outside of a car wash) but it's never caused a problem. Remember on the Evo this isn't a SCOOP (inlet) it's a vent (outlet).

Dan

Reply to
Dan

manufacturing flaw in the casting.

warenty, after that I just lived with it.

Reply to
Black WRX

My 03 Evo has done that off & on since I got it w/4 miles on the odo.

1st clutch I ever had this with...

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Your subaru Dealer has a fix for the clutch shudder. They did mine at no cost, but I think you have to ask. (Not sure if they will still do it after 56K mine was done before 36K)

Paul

manufacturing flaw in the casting.

warenty, after that I just lived with it.

Reply to
Paul

Paul-Do you recall exactly what they did? Clutch replacement?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

This wasabout two years ago, there was a service buletin from Subaru,

It involved at least a clutch disk replacement.

It made the clutch much more civilized, no more shudder.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Reply to