wrx tire size

Any reason not to go to 225/50 R16 instead of 205/55 R16 on an '02 wrx wagon with stock rims?

I'm leaning towards Pirelli PZero Nero M&S for winter rains. Any comments?

thanks

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

If you get *too* wide, you end up with "excess" sidewall, and that gets squirmy...I don't recall if guys were complaining about the results with

225 or 245, tho.
Reply to
CompUser

Yeah, I'd be wondering why you'd go up two tire widths (205 to 225) but only go down one profile size (55 to 50). I think you'd be better off going with the 225/45. It'll keep your speedo closer to stock. Even better would be going to a 225/45/R17 for the better handling.

Reply to
Ragnar

Hi for winter driving it's better 205-55-16 or you could fit 195-65-15 and those are a great deal if you like fast drive in winter

"-rick-" a écrit dans le message de news: w86dnYhOq49YJz7enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
WrxWagon06

Actually 225/50-16 is the proper "plus zero" size and has a nearly identical diameter and rolling circumference to the stock 205/55 size.

225/45 would not be the same and would affect gearing and speedo.
Reply to
mulder

This is a fairly common upgrade on the sedan, which has no clearance problems. I think you'd be ok on the wagon with 225's on stock wheels. As for the Pirellis I'm on my second winter with mine which are

225/50-16 (on 7" wide Rotas) and I've been very happy with them.
Reply to
mulder

I've run that size on mine with OEM wheels; Kumho Ecsta V700s for autocross duties. These are so different from a "regular" tire that I can't really comment on effects on handling; the type R tire sticks like glue, but is miserable for general driving. But they do fit just fine.

ByeBye! S.

Sorry I wasn't clear. These will be year round tires for the Portland OR. area where snow is rare but rain is not in the winter and summers are nice and sunny.

thanks,

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

I have PZero Nero M+S for my STi. *Great* tires for the rain, although my comparison is the stock WRX Potenzas and the stock STi RE070's which hydroplane like mad when driving at speed through puddles.

The PZeros take the rain and wet like you wouldn't *believe.* I've driven through big puddles, inches deep, at speed and I didn't get more than a nudge on the steering wheel. They keep traction very well in even a new rain, and have predictable give at their limits. I.e. it's not all at once, and there's definite squealing to let you know what's going on (and to ease up a little.)

In terms of gravel, they're equally impressive, and I've driven them up over mountain passes with lots of snow and nasty cold weather. Ice everywhere. They did admirably, and cut through the snow very easily.

The only thing I have a problem with is they feel mushy at high speeds, and especially cornering at high speeds. Approaching 130mph gives me an unsettling floating feeling that I didn't have with the RE070's, but I suppose that's normal considering one has stiff sidewalls and is a performance summer tire, and the other is an all-season good for mud, snow, and rain. It's not supposed to have stiff sidewalls.

Anyway, for your climate, it's a superior tire, and well worth the money.

Reply to
k. ote

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good to me as I rarely and barely exceed 80mph. I have an appointment to get them installed tomorrow.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

It looks like it is the best match for your current size.

Ejelta.com: Tire Size Calculator

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I had them installed today and so far so good. I pushed it a bit on the way home and they felt really good. We'll see what happens when the rains hit.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

They typically say it's better to have narrower tires in wet conditions, because it can cut through the water better. But I don't really believe it, I think it has more to do with tread patterns and tread depths.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan