XT Convertible?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group as you've probably noticed. But I'm curious. Some time ago I had an 86 XT. That's why I'm looking for another one. I really liked it but had to leave it in another state when I moved because I was transporting a large sailboat and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't figure out how to drive both vehicles or trailer both the boat and the Subie. Any way I had been lookin' around for parts for the Subie when I came across some manufactures promotional ads and there, as pretty as you please, was an XT convertible. Talk about a "righteous wedge"! Were these ever produced or imported here? Has anyone actually seen one? If I had one of those I'd be in SUBIE HEAVEN!!!!

Reply to
Rico

I don't know about the XT, but I have seen two GL convertibles over the years. One in person, and one on eBay if I'm not mistaken. Information is sketchy, but I believe that convertible tops were available as factory options for at least one year. However, I'm not sure if this was indeed done at the factory, or if it was contracted out to an aftermarket source officially used by Subaru at the time.

I also remember hearing from someone in this newsgroup that they had a brand new Subaru made into a convertible, also a GL I believe. (This was in the

80's, IIRC.) But because of the frameless windows, any Subaru coupe would be a straightforward project.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

"Hallraker"

Thanks Matt, The pics I saw were actually manufacturers promos and posters for the XT. They probably were not exported to the US. And since you're the only one to respond to this thread, we must be the only two that had our interest piqued.

Reply to
Rico