Yes another Winter Tire question

And this will also light up the warning light in the dash. Defeating a warning light always unerves me because then you won't know when you do have a real failure. That is why I haven't done the DRL hand-brake-ectomy that then leaves you with a lit dash light.. Terry - '03 Silver Legacy SE sedan - 36 miles! '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 23k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

Actually the Blizzacks really will wear dowwn on dry roads. I drive a LOT of highway miles at about 80 mph fairly constant. The Blizzaks were on my Miata and they did not last a season before they were into the all season tread. This wasn't true for the Nokians on the Miata. They had a lot of meat left even after a ton of highway driving.

I have the RE-92's on my WRX. They are crap in the snow. I was very unhappy with them. They still have a fair amount of tread left on them too. I'll be interested to see what you and your wife think of the RE-92's when there's real snow and ice on the ground. For me they were very scary tires in the winter.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Hey you can always buy my OZ Superleggara Rims and they have S03 Pole Positions on them. Those are great tires! I've decided to sell the summer tires then I'll probably sell the WRX. I've got a job offer out of State no more driving zillions of highway miles. But the roads there are crap and I'd need a truck.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

I have them and depending on the winter weather you have where you live you could find yourself sliding through intersections and stop signs. If there are any hills in your area you are boned! We have a lot of hills here and just small ones but between the ABS constantly going off and the RE-92's less than stellar grip. It's a receipe for disaster. One decent snow storm and you will want some other type of tire. We get Snow, Ice, Slush, Wintry Mix, Freezing Rain and Black Ice. I drive 2-3 times the highway mileage most people do, many times up to

500 miles a week or more. Winter tires can't handle that very well. All Seasons don't grip like winter tires, but some are better than others. The Kuhmo HP 716's are supposed to be a pretty good all around tire and for $53 each I'll take a chance they are better than the RE-92's.
Reply to
Scooby Don't

Jerry and Bea

Have a look at the Pirelli WinterSport series. Not the best on ice because of harder rubber, but they last longer because of the harder rubber, and they handle like sports summer tires. Not too noisy either.

Reply to
Felix Crashalot

Hi. I have the Blizzack LM18's and they are great on snow and ice. I am going on the third season with them....Just need to find a nice set of rims for them.....

Reply to
No-No_Bad_DOG!

just dreadful on ice. I went through last winter on them, and I'm not doing it again.

Great thread! - I kinda wish I read it before buying Blizaks.. although so far they are very quiet and compared to some Haakapelliitta's I had on a SAAB once they seem a lot smoother.

I've been thinking that the ABS on our 2001 Outback wagon wasn't working right. Seems like when it kicks-in the stopping distances go UP. Although one time it went on while stopping quickly on gravel, and that seemed to work very well. Most people had trouble faulting the car when we were still running Potenza's. We'll see.

As far as folks going really slow on expressways, that does happen around here (upstate NY) Then it doesn't matter how good your tires are.

-D

Reply to
meld_b

snow -- and just dreadful on ice. I went through last winter on them, and I'm not doing it again.

Reply to
Alan

Absolutely, ASB is designed to allow you to have control during "panic braking" some people do, and will lengthen your stopping distance. You can do better than ABS with threshold braking anyday. Interesting side note about ABS it has increased the number of roll over accidents in SUVs because people used to lock up the brakes and turn the wheel while sliding straight, now people panic brake rip the wheel and roll over instead.

Back to Subaru ABS. Subaru's ABS are tuned to work on ICE and snowy conditions. This setting is much more sensitive than most other manufactures, meaning Subaru's will engage ABS well before most other manufactures on all surfaces including dry pavement. (This is probably why your ABS worked so well on Gravel, surprise surprise Subaru does rally racing, wonder why that works.) This is good for the average driver when they use Subaru's on ice, which is one of the great things about Subaru. However, this can be a problem when trying to "performance drive" a Subaru on dry pavement and is sometime disabled for this reason.

Ed

Reply to
Edward Arata

Well but I ended up getting the Michelin Arctic Alpins and not the = Hakkas.

June

snow -- and just dreadful on ice. I went through last winter on them, = and I'm not doing it again.

Great thread! - I kinda wish I read it before buying Blizaks.. although=20 so far they are very quiet and compared to some Haakapelliitta's I had=20 on a SAAB once they seem a lot smoother.

I've been thinking that the ABS on our 2001 Outback wagon wasn't working =

right. Seems like when it kicks-in the stopping distances go UP.=20 Although one time it went on while stopping quickly on gravel, and that=20 seemed to work very well. Most people had trouble faulting the car when=20 we were still running Potenza's. We'll see.

As far as folks going really slow on expressways, that does happen=20 around here (upstate NY) Then it doesn't matter how good your tires are.

-D

Reply to
Diva