01 vw cabrio fuel pump relay

I need a fuel pump relay for my cabrio, online parts suppliers list both the 167 4 pin relay and the 409 8 pin relay as the proper ones for this car. Mine is a 409 but locally I can only find a 167, the 167 will plug into the outlet. Can use it, if not what other circuits id the 409 connected to?

Reply to
mark

I find two choices for that car at

but neither carries the exact number you mention. The price difference is very large, about $13 for one of them and $62 for the other.

Sometimes (often) not all the the pins on the relay, or on the socket, are in use.

You can probably check the internal wiring of the relay (usually on the side of the case) and the current capacity of the relay contacts and make a good decision on whether the alternate will work in your case.

Reply to
hls

or how about this for novel - replace it with another of the one that's already in the vehicle and known to work?!

alternatively, the o.p. could see if the faulty one is repairable like the famous honda main relay:

jim beam