02 silverado bad front wheel bearing?

I have a 2002 silverado 4wd and I am getting a rough scraping or grinding noise from the front right wheel. Not the brakes. This happens in 2 and 4wd and is much louder when doing a left turn or lane change to the left . What is this, a bad wheel bearing? I raised the truck on a hoist and the axle shafts seems tight, ball joints are tight, tie rod are tight. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
mark

This is one of the ways a bad wheel bearing manifests itself. If you are absolutely sure about the brakes and the CV joints, this is the logical choice.

I have personally had cars that behaved this way with bad bearings.

Reply to
HLS

If the wheel bearing is bad, the wheel will have play in it when jacked up. The brake pedal will also show it after a turn usually, the first pump will be low and the second pump will be higher.

Do your axles disconnect from the hubs when in 2 wheel drive? If not, then maybe an axle U-joint or CV joint is bad.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

If you are sure the axles/CV joints are OK then it is likely the hub. They can have enough damage to make noise and rumble and you won't feel any play in the bearing.

Reply to
Steve W.

I got it apart, it was the bearing. What happened to good ole inner and outer replaceable tapered roller bearings. This assembly was near $200.00 and is not servicable. My 85 jeep cj-7still has the originals although I have taken them apart and greased them over the years.

Reply to
mark

That has been my experience too, Steve. They may have no noticeable play, or anything else except noise.

OP has now learned the delights of cost of replacement of modern bearing$.

Reply to
HLS

I run into a LOT of them that make rumbling/grinding sounds. I have cut a few apart and usually find the outer section is failing. Most of the time it is very light flaking or brinelling. I almost think that both are likely caused by folks using rattle guns to change the tires. The hammering damages the bearing surface enough to cause problems later.

Reply to
Steve W.

I had a Mustang that this happened to with less than 30,000 miles new. It just failed with no apparent abuse. Thankfully, this is somewhat rare.

Reply to
HLS