'04 cavalier: splice fuel line with rubber hose?

'04 Cavalier has a leaking fuel filter. Freeing the nut on the pipe is not going well. I'm thinking to cut the pipe, fit a short stub to the new filter, and splice the stub to the cut pipe with rubber gas hose.

Is this an 'OMG, don't do that!' thing???

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

aarcuda69062

Yes. OMG, don't do that.

Never splice a rubber hose in place of a steel pipe. Properly repair it using the correct parts. I won't even use steel pipe repair couplers as these things are cheap.

Reply to
john

I had a Celica that had rust holes all over the fuel line. I cut the line, took some FUEL LINE rubber hose that had about the same ID as the steel line's OD, slipped the steel line in and clamped it. I had to make about 6 patches that way, and it worked well. But I was able to get the steel line to touch inside the rubber line, so it didn't have to span very large distances. I think the biggest gap was less than an inch.

Reply to
supraman_88

When I hear 'nut' on a fuel line, I think high pump pressure.

Some others don't like the steel line repair kits. But with decent quality parts and some care in flaring the lines and installation, these should be much better than a rubber hose if its a high pressure system.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

A shop in town last November cut about 9 inches of my Bonneville's fuel line out and replaced with a rubber hose. The connections were so rusted they couldn't be broken loose. Now the new filter has a short straight pipe with a rubber hose clamped to it and two more clamps where it overlaps the forward fuel line.

In February the two forward clamps actually broke in half, possible from driving through deep snow & ice for several days.

One morning I started the car with the driver door open and gas was shooting out all over the place, near where my foot was. I smelled the gas first then looked down ans saw the gas sprying all over.

If I had started the car with the door closed I wold of been driving away 20 seconds later and the gas would of been hitting the hot exhaust pipes, & coverter.

Then the car would of been on fire.

Its best not to splice gas lines with rubber hose, If I knew this shop was going to do that I would of not had them "try" to change the filter.

harryface

91 Bonneville 321,579 05 Park Avenue 98,098
Reply to
Harry Face

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in news:6260-4BE1824B-2264 @storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net:

My mechanic says that high-pressure fuel line should NEVER have clamps on it. Steel line should always have proper flare connections (looks like a large brake-line fitting). Lines with rubber portions should have purpose-built permanent high-pressure connections to the steel part.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks to all who posted. I decided to use pipe, and not hose - besides all the advice against hose, this filter is mostly supported by the pipe. So, even a short hose splice might have been subject to undue flexing.

And, in case anyone ever googles this thread, and I'm not the only one who didn't know this, ... if you replace the outlet pipe, you need to use something like

(per Mr. Nelson), or equal. The point being, where the pipe attaches to the filter requires an o-ring fitting, not a flare or bubble. G

Reply to
George

You were wise not to go to rubber tubing. I think you are saying you are going with metallic "tubing" instead, and that is a good thing. "Pipe" may not be the best word to use in this situation, for posterity.

Reply to
hls

Harry,

Are you coming to Houston this May?