'04 Explorer, raps at start up, normal?

A 2004 Eplorer XLT 4.0 (8th/K). After it sits over night, first start up, quick raps for about a second, then gone. Oil pressure is great while running. No raps/noises while running/revving/driving. Sit for

5/6 hours, does it again. The noise sounds like no oil to rod bearings. Is this the nature off the beast? Thanx.
Reply to
dahpater

My 4.2 engine started making 'bad' start up noises after a 3000 mile trip and oil change right after. I thought the engine got toasted. :-(

It turns out I didn't pay attention and just bought the 'on sale' oil filter which was a Fram. I then read about and remembered that Fram filters have drain back issues....

Sure enough, I went and just changed the filter to another brand and 'all' the noises went away.

Worth looking to see if your filter is that Fram color.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Thanx, but it has a Wix on it and did it with the old filter, which I forget what brand it was.

Reply to
dahpater

What mileage? Has any engine work ever been done to it? What grade of oil are you using?

Just to be safe you may want to use a real pressure gauge and monitor oil pressure at all temps and driving conditions.

It does sound like an oil filter drain back issue on the surface, but if other filter(s) have yielded the same results, then that's pretty much out.

You may have excessive bearing clearances, leaking timing chain tensioner(s), valve lifter leakdown, or a weak oil pump that is starting to manifest itself as longer pressureup times. I would look at a real pressure gauge reading before any other testing.

Can you distinguish the difference between timing chain rattle, valve lifter noise, and rod bearing noise as they relate to a loss of oil pressure? I know you said it sounds like rod bearing noise, but I wanted to see how sure you are of that observation.

Lastly, I don't know anything about the Vin K 4.0. Is that a DOHC? Is it new for 2004?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Check your oil filter. Some cheap filters have issues with the internal valve leaking, so the top of the system drains down from the filter while the car is sitting, and then it takes a little time to come up to pressure again.

Then try a different kind of oil. If you're using a synthetic, try a petroleum type. If you're using a petroleum oil, try a synthetic.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey