07 PT Cruiser rented

I rented an 07 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2 weeks ago. It only had 562 miles on it. I put on an additional 1014 miles driving around Dallas-FortWorth-Houston, Texas. Had about 150 lbs of tools, parts, and luggage. I never drove one of these before. IMO, it was the strangest looking car/suv I have rented. Did not really want it but it was either that or a some sort of Kia-Hundai.

4 cylinder. Averaged 23.7 mpg. Driven mostly above 60 mph. Its top speed is probably around 85 mph. Car was underpowered for Central Texas hills but ran great on flat land.

Short and to the point: I liked it better than any GM (GP, GA, G6, Malibu, Impala, Tahoe, Pahoe, Trailblazer, etc) that I have ever rented.

Would I buy one? YES! I am just amazed at how much better it was than any GM rental I have ever had. It would take some doing to get used to the strange shape though. I was actually considering buying a GM, but no more.

Good stuff: The stereo was excellent! Absolutely great. Nice freq response - not the mushy droning sound like GM's. Outside lighting was very good. Unlike a GM, I could actually see the road at night. Visibility great all around. Handling was pretty good. Gripped the road well. Not as front heavy as GM. Mirrors great - Unlike GM I could actually see away from the sides of the car. Did not have a close sideswiping call the entire trip Arm rests ok, right height, but plastic hard - why don't auto makers pad arm rests any more? Auto down on both front windows was nice. I could actually reach the front door when open to close it. Ordinary seats but very comfortable - no back pain the entire trip. Did not have to remove and reverse the headrests - unlike GM. The visors extended and covered both front and side windows well - unlike GM. I could hang my arm out the window ok. The door lock knob is recessed into the top of the window sill so that it did not stick me in the arm. Did not have to remove them - Unlike GM. Road noise was bearable - only had to use ear plugs 4 times.

Strange stuff: The dash was the same color as the outside of the car. Never did get used to the red metallic dash. Push button outside door handles - Retro, I guess. The power window buttons are in mid center of dash (not the console). Never did get used to that. Round Analog clock in high center of dash - Retro.

Things I did not like: Car did well at 75 mph on flat roads and low hills but the moderate hills of central Texas made it down shift a lot. A 6 cylinder would be nice. Cruise control over reacted to hills and gained 5-10 mph by the top of the hill. Cruise control turns off when car turns off. It needs a non-toggle on/off switch. Cannot see the dash gauges during twilight. When it was time for lights I had to turn down the dash lighting all the way to see them until it got really dark out. Turn signal lever to far away and too soft to be easily used. Chrysler design people must have really long fingers and a velvet touch.

Conclusion: The PT was a nice vehicle but my 1992 Grand Am is still better than any vehicle I've ever rented.

Reply to
« Paul »

How does one remove & reverse the headrests? All my cars that had headrest ( except 73 Impala ) the seat had to be diassembled to R &R the headrest.

On my Bonneville a shive like tool has to be slid down inside the seat to release a tab.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

All the rentals have been from 2003 up. Before that we had a company truck but the boss sold it. Many of the different models have had different ways to un-do the head rest. Unfortunately, I don't remember them except the last ones: G-6, Saturns, etc. They had buttons on both of the 2 rods. I usually have a good supply of tools along with me. There were some that required more effort but I don't remember which ones. IMO, the GM designers all like to sit with the seat back laid back at about a 60 degree angle and head tilted forward. They must have very long arms and short legs. I've noticed the same thing on doors that open way too wide for me to reach, window sills way too high, etc. Anyhow, I like to sit almost upright - probably 80-85 degree angle. That puts the head rest way too far forward and I have to tilt my head down and eyes up to drive.

Reply to
« Paul »

If I might ask, Paul..... why are you renting so many different cars? If you mentioned this once before, I must've missed it.

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

I travel once or twice per month for work. I'm a senior project manager for the environmental branch of Ryder System. About half my trips are to Dallas-Ft.Worth and the other half to anywhere in the country. I'll be going back to Dallas again in a week or so, then to Michigan in December/January (ugh, yech - I really hate the cold).

Reply to
« Paul »

I also hate the cold.

But I envy your travelling position, believe it or not. New places are neat to see and take in.

Of course, you'll probably agree, but say that it got old after 1 year. It *is* cool though that you get to drive all kinds of different stuff.

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Good job, nice people, mostly mech/tech types, scientists and engineers. The travel will never get old! Paid my way through a couple of science d= egrees by being an ASE tech at a Ford and Chevy dealers. Specialized in electri= al and a/c.

Reply to
« Paul »

Ah, I see you are in/near Chicago. (Hello Hairy!) I was there a couple years ago in January. 14 degrees F and people were = out shopping, working construction, and driving! Absolutely amazing.

Reply to
« Paul »

I've owned a PT Cruiser GT for 3 years now, and that's a very accurate review of the PT Cruiser. Well done.

As for the lack of powerm, what you need is the Turbo PT Cruiser with

180 HP or a PT Cruiser Turbo GT with 230 HP. Both have the same or more HP than a 1992 Grand Am GT (180 HP). Even the base PT has more HP than the base 1992 Grand Am (150 vs 120). The PT Cruiser GT will even out accelerate a 1982 Ferrari 308 GTB/Si Quattrovalvole in the 0-60 (PT GT: 6.7 sec., Ferrari: 6.8 sec).

Curiously, the 2005 Grand Am GT with a V6 only produces 175 HP compared to the 1992 Grand Am GT with 4 cyl. that produced 180 HP. The PT Cruiser GT also only has 4 cyl. (turbo) and produces 230 HP. So counting cylinders doesn't always mean you have more power.

Joe

=AB=BB wrote:

Reply to
robinjoe61