0w-20 and K+N filter for fuel economy?

I drive a large SUV that was purchased when gasoline was below $1.00 per gallon. Since that time the miles per month I drive has increased to 2500 from 1000. This has resulted in a 500% increase in my monthly gas bill. With that in mind, my primary objective is to save on fuel costs. Although not recommended in my owners manual, can I "gamble" and tru 0w20 motor oil for the fuel economy benefits. Also, I'd like a K+N air filter but not sure if it is safe. what do you guys recommend? Moreover, I want to buy low rolling resistance tires for improved fuel economy. Moreover, I want to lobby congress to lower taxes on gasoline or else I will have to be seen in an econobox car. I want my suv!!!

Reply to
Umberto

TROLL-O-METER reading for this post

10 9
Reply to
TranSurgeon

Put really really thin oil in the engine and drive it at full throttle all the time [to cut pumping losses] and trust me, your gas bill will go down.

One of the biggest ways to affect mileage is to shave off several pounds from your right foot.

You won't really get that much mileage increase with a K+N, not enough to pay for it even at Kalifornia prices.

A good set of steel belted radials would help with rolling resistance, and you *might* get a small mileage increase by going just a bit oversize. You'd only see much mileage benefit with oversize tires at cruising speed and under light load.

A mild compression bump can improve mileage but you'll then be sipping more expensive gas. You might want to try midgrade anyway...ever since the state of Kalifornia went from Dino Gas to Wino Gas, I've noticed that midgrade gives less mileage loss than regular--enough that it is actually cheaper to run the midgrade.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11