10% Ethanol in Gas

If you add more fuel you get a bigger bang in the

No incorrect.

What that illustrates is your complete lack of understanding. A car does not skid along the road like a hockey puck propelled by little puffs of fuel explosions like you imagine. Driving down the highway (in high gear) the crankshaft is linked to the wheels directly in such a way that each explosion caries the vehicle exactly the same distance no matter whether you imagine the explosions are big or little. That is if you drive from point A to point B in top gear there will be a fixed number of engine revs involved.

What more power to the piston means is that you get their faster. That is, the piston moves faster so the car goes the same distance in less time. So if you think about what you are saying (obviously, not something you are used to) your claim is that the faster you go (i.e. the more throttle) the better the gas mileage. That is just plain wrong.

Reply to
jim

Because throttle opening and rpm are only connected in steady state, i.e, cruising on level ground at constant speed. But cars get pretty good milage under those conditions anyway. It is acceleration where we lose a lot of efficiency, and during acceleration rpm and throttle opening are not uniquely connected.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I was thinking of eating the rubber, not the aluminum.

I believe the aluminum corrosion problems are not specifically due to methanol but due to dissolved water with the methanol, but I am not positive about that.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

My owners manual states the water content from the alcohol mix is a large problem and it states 'no matter how many drying agents they 'say' is in them'.

The other issue is the old style 'rubber' hoses and things like the 'rubber' tip of the float needle.

I almost shudder to think of what the stuff might do to my plastic gas tank, but hopefully the plastic will hold out.

I don't know what caused it, but i recently had to replace a carb for a friend because the insides were almost completely dissolved. This is the aluminum frame parts like the float bowl.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news:476e8a79$0$5377$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

you need to bump the timeing up 2 to 4 degrees, If it doesn`t ping it is just free efficiency regardless of fuel. But ethanol can take more advance for sure. It may just be that it needs more on the vacuume advance end too. Advance curves are tricky things to play with because there are so many paramaters that affect them. I have spent alot of years experementing with them.

I find this confusing because most float needles are epm rubber that will take most any chemicals in stride. It would be nice to find out before your next change out. also off roading is senceitive to fuel pressure being even a bit to high as the float wants to bounce anyway, If your over maby 4 lbs it may be too much for your enviroment. the only reason to need more is if its running lean at WOT. KB PS my 85 F350 460 carb motor is going on 20 years of using 10% ethanol mix with out a carb problem yet. Haven`t even had to overhall the carb yet.

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I used to run a Mallory distributor I could dial in the advance on, it was nice.

My engine specs say some setups can handle up to 12 BTDC for high altitude running. I am running 8 or 9.

I am almost out of gas so I will get a good test bed with the fuel mix in a couple days and play with the timing.

Will that fuel affect the engine vacuum? When setting the timing, a vacuum gauge will get it within a degree or two by going to highest vacuum, then backing off an inch vacuum. Do you think that would still be valid with the mix because I can do both at once easily, likely will just to see.

I was also running hot at speed so figured the timing was maxed. Needed a new rad, got that and dropped 25% overall in temps.

I might have had really old stock but never really thought of the bounce factor. Mine gets bounced on a very regular basis and the regulator (metered orifice) in the fuel filter hasn't always been hooked up. That could account for the ring cut into the 'rubber' tip. I still have the mechanical suction pump on the engine.

I did find one kit that had a solid needle once.

Wow, if I don't address the carb every two years, I am asking for trouble. I will get a sticky float needle at least so to replace the needle and seat have to buy a kit, so I put it in. I always find enough crap inside to figure it was worth it, but running in the muddy and dusty environment has lots to do with that.

'You play, you pay' is a saying most off roaders are familiar with.

Thanks for the input!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

You may want to consider adding MTBE, in the form of an "octane enhancer." Not as a permanent measure, but as a diagnostic. It should make no difference... if it does, you know it's either a vapor pressure or a predetonation issue. (And you should have ruled the latter out already.)

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Probably not good advice. From what I can tell he is comparing low-grade regular (87 octane?) with high grade premium (93 octane?). Both probably contain ethanol. The real issue is how to tune it for whatever else what is in the fuel. That probably is going to mean retarding the timing. He may already be set pretty advanced which would explain why he gets much better mileage on high octane.

Yes, that would be true if that was the one thing that makes the 2 fuels different - but it is not.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Well, they are just surviving dinosaurs after all.... ;-)

Chicken $#1t is pretty nasty, given some of the diseases (no, not "bird flu just ordinary bacterial stuff) that they can carry.

It can actually be TOO "good." You can burn some crops pretty badly with chicken manure, especially if it hasn't had a chance to compost sufficiently.

Reply to
Steve

Sure we can. We just can't possibly make enough of it and still eat.

Reply to
clifto