1976 Jeep CJ-7 smog

Is a 76 CJ-7 supposed to have a fuel resrtictor just inside the gas cap? You know, that device that is not supposed to allow a larger nozzle (from the old days when they had them) into the filler. It passed, but only because the computer didn't ask the tech to check it. The Chevy V8 in this Jeep puts out only a fraction of the allowed emissions, but the visual stuff is always the problem. It really doesn't matter now, but I am stiill curious.

Also on smog checks, it is now 2004, and this vehicle will not be due for a smog check for another 2 years. Since that will be Feb 2006, does this mean that the smog check I got yesterday will be the last one? 2006 - 1976 = 30 years. I ask this question because the BAR certification label for the engine conversion is hard to read, and I should get a new one, but if it is the last check that won't matter either. Besides, if I attempt to get a new one, they will probably look it over and find some other silly visual thing that needs changing, and I don't want to get messed up in that with a smog referee.

Any CA smog check tech out there care to answer this one?

Thanks!!

Reply to
RickA

You know I can never figure out folks that bitch and complain when they pass emissions.... ;-)

If your vehicle came stock with a catalytic converter it needs unleaded gas and 'likely' will have the restrictor in the line.

It 'really' depends on where the vehicle was bought though. In most places, like up here in Canada, no CJ ever built needed a catalytic converter so they are fine to run on 'regular' leaded gas.

That said, my 86 has the restrictor, but no cat.

And yes, you might never need another test. My 86 is due for it's last emissions test next year. The next 2 year one will be past it's age tag. 20 years up here.

Mike

RickA wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike....

I hear you on the bitching thing, I can't figure it out either. The point is to pass and get the vehicle registered. When I hear the word "pass", all I feel like is celebrating as in California, that isn't easy to do when you have an engine conversion vehicle that they don't really like in the first place, but did certify.

So you cruise this NG too? Before I gave up on the rec.autos.jeep+willys NG, you may remember me as "Red Racer".

Thanks again....

Reply to
RickA

I cruise here now and then too.

You are lucky to get a V8 past those smog cops in CA. At least up here we still are allowed 'hot rods'. ;-)

Does the old 76 need a cat down there? If needed that restrictor piece could be swiped from a newer CJ. It is a small piece.

Mike

RickA wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Trucks had factory emissions standards that were lax enough to not require catalytic converters until the 80s, and that Jeep probably qualified as one. If it didn't come with a converter from the factory, it won't have come with a nozzle restrictor either, since vehicles without a converter could run on leaded fuel.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

My first 4x4 was a 1976 Jeep CJ-7, bought/sold in Illinois (4/76). From what I remember, the Ca. CJ's had Cats in '76, but the 49-State CJ's did not have Cats (this changed in '77 or possibly later in '76 model year). Regarding the inlet fuel restrictor for unleaded gas, I did have that (including the stickers above the gas cap and on the dash fuel gauge stating "unleaded fuel only").

If you have a '76 CJ-7 made for the 49-States, then you do not have a Cat and you do not have to pass the same emissions that a Ca. CJ-7 (thatis; w/Cat) had to pass.

Disclaimer, this is with the 258ci/6-cyl/engine. I don't know anything about 232ci/304ci engines and their emissions.

The only difference that I know of was that some time mid-year, Jeep changed the gas cap area design. During the 76 model year, the gas cap area design changed. Mine looked like an older CJ-5 with a round "gas cap" only, but this was changed later in the '76 year to the rectangular recessed gas cap setup. I don't know what this change meant, but I think it was a matter of getting rid of the old "parts" before the new design was introduced. -Papa Rick

RickA wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Interesting info!!

Reply to
RickA

Looking at the gas gauge (gas cap or inlet area) and finding a sticker in of itself, tells you nothing. What you need to do is to look for/find the CAT sticker, this will tell you if your CJ came from the factory with or w/o a CAT (the sticker will say either CATALYST or NON-CATALYST). Most of the time they are in or around the driver's side door sill (not on the door itself), otherwise it might be under the hood by the latch or top side of the radiator. Sorry, but I sold my CJ-7 back in '99 to someone that was going to rebuild it.

Btw, I believe that the VIN can tell you where the CJ was "intended" for sale to. I bought the "Service Manual" for my '76 CJ-7, but I can't find it just now. But what I'm saying is that there is a digit in the VIN that will tell you where your CJ was intended to be sold, i.e.; where it was built for. If you find the CAT sticker, I believe it will say (if nothing is too readable) that it's a 49-State model which means NOT for Califuitia. I don't know what the Cal. variant says. -PapaRick

RickA wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo