1981 Skylark WOT No brakes?

hello fellow enthusiasts,

I have just inherited a 1981 buick skylark, with 33k miles on it, it was my uncles and was garaged for the last 5 years, recently i took it out for a test drive and noticed when i floor the gas, i cannot push the brake pedal, its almost as if its stuck, but the second i let go of the gas it returns to normal within 2-3 pumps

i was wondering if this is related to engine vaccum? or would it be a low brake fluid situation? i didnt get a chance to take a peek of the fluid level . anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

mike

Reply to
turismo

There is a check valve for the power brake booster (I think it's part of the fitting where the vacuum hose attaches to the booster) which is supposed to keep the vacuum in (or should that be, out?) of the booster when the engine vacuum decreases. It's probably broken.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Bobo

I agree with the other guy - it's the check valve. A spider probably made his home in there and now his body is jamming it open.

Jim

turismo wrote:

Reply to
Jim