1983 Dodge van battery cables and ignition switch.

I bought the van last Sunday.Each one of the positive and negative battery cables has a replacement clamp on the end where they connect to the battery.I don't like those kind of clamps.Are the positive and the negative battery cables hard to replace with new cables like the kind that were installed at the factory? The ignition key switch, I think is worn out.I have to turn the switch backward and then forward to get the engine (318 engine) to crank.This morning I couldn't get the engine to start at all.I think I need to buy a new battery.Something might be draining the old (Sears Diehard) battery that was in the van.I have the battery on a battery charger right now. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The replacement of the cables is relatively easy. You can also just cut off the ends and replace them if you prefer.

Reply to
HLS

Sooner or later I will replace the battery cables with new ones.The battery (top post battery) that came with the van is a Sears Diehard WeatherHandler, 30325 Group 25 480 CCA 600 CA.This morning the battery spun the engine over three or four times (I waited a few seconds between times before I tried again) and still the engine didn't start up.I am still waiting for my little Sears battery charger/battery maintainer to finish charging the battery and I will try to start the engine again.I think that battery is about three years old.I live within a few minutes walk from the Sears auto center at the mall.As soon as I get the engine started, I think I will drive to the Sears store and buy a new heavy duty battery for the van.I want to buy a battery that has a lot of Kick! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Maybe your battery will take a charge, maybe not.

Your starter needs to be eliminated too, as a source of problems, if this continues. Recently mine gave up the ghost, and it was the contact points inside the starter itself. Had the contacts replaced, etc, and it now works like a new one.

And of course clean contacts with the cables is a must.

Reply to
HLS

To properly test your battery charge up as much as you can, and take it somewhere to have a load test put on it. It could be your battery is just too old or has just gone bad.

With the battery on the vehicle and with it running put a volt meter on the battery set to DC. You should be seeing at least 13-14volts DC while it's charging.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I don't trust that old battery.A neighbor across the street took me to the Sears auto center.The guy at Sears auto center wouldn't allow me any credit on the old Diehard battery.I went to Autozone and I bought a new Autozone battery that has 640 CCA.The new battery starts my van right on up first time every time. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

double check to make sure your charging system is also working. A bad battery can ruin an alternator.

Reply to
m6onz5a