1985 Honda Accord, Frozen Caliper Slider

My girlfriend has a '85 Accord and the front right caliper won't slide. The Piston still works.

Called around and we can't get the bracket, but we can get the caliper. What's the recommended way to replace this? Can I unfreeze the bracket, and if I do, will it still be OK to use with a new caliper and pins? What's the best way to unfreeze the bracket (already tried penetrating oil)? Do we need a new caliper, or can I just get the pins and the rubber bushings (they're done for).

TIA.

Reply to
Larry Bud

It depends if you can get the pins free. I've had two encounters with siezed pins. One I had to buy new brackets as I was unable to free the pins from the bracket. The bracket came with new pins. On the other I was able to free them and thankfully they weren't rusted in, just stuck and were in good condition.

Basically what you want to do is to get the pins out without marring the sliding surfaces (on either part) or any threads for attaching bolts should there be any. Once you get them out then you can see if they are still good.

I can't recall exactly what I did, but it involved making a little press out of the various pullers and tools I have that hooked to the bracket such that I could push them out. Probably also used something simple like pentrating oil as well. Once out everything got a good clean up and good greasing with brake lube.

Another thing to consider is going to a self serve salvage yard and seeing if there's an '85 accord you can take the caliper brackets off of.

There is no need to replace the caliper based on your discription unless there has been some unusual damage to it or there is something else wrong you didn't mention.

Reply to
Brent P

"Larry Bud" wrote in news:1163537473.407628.206590 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Can you remove the lower bolt? If so, you should be able to carefully lever/swivel/wiggle the caliper off the upper pin.

The problem is rust, which can be sanded off once surfaces are exposed.

How do you mean the parts are "done for"? So long as the rubber's not split, the parts can usually be reused. You might need lots of 50-grit emery cloth and Sil-Glyde, but it ought to be restorable.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

What penetrating oil did you try?

A lot of people are under the impression WD-40 is a penetrating oil, they squirt that on there and when the part doesen't free up they give up.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I forget the name, but it's not WD-40. It's a real penetrating oil.

Reply to
Larry Bud

90

The rubber bushing is history. The rest of the parts, I don't know. I should be able to move the lower bolt. The bottom pin is free, it's the top one that's frozen.

Reply to
Larry Bud

"Larry Bud" wrote: 1985 Honda Accord

The front right brake caliper is frozen; won't slide. The Piston still works. I called around and can't get the bracket but can get the caliper.

Can I unfreeze the bracket, and if I do, will it still be OK to use with a new caliper and p What penetrating oil did you try? A lot of people are under the impression WD-40 is a penetrating oil, they squirt that on there and when the part doesen't free up they give up. ________________________________________

WD-40 could have caused the original freeze-up. It penetrates some at first, but when its aromatic portion evaporates, it leaves a hygroscopic residue that attracts moisture and causes parts to rust.

Soak it well with a better penetrant, let it sit a few hours, and try again. My favorite penetrant is PB Blaster, but many others are available.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

"Larry Bud" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

If I remember correctly (been a while), the top one stays where it is. It does not come off. The caliper should slip off the upper pin once the lower bolt is removed.

I'd suggest removing the lower bolt, pivoting the caliper free of the pads and rotor, then trying to wiggle/pull until the caliper comes off the upper pin.

Bring the rubber parts to your dealer and tell him what car they come from. Honda's parts inventory goes back quite a ways, and they may be able to find similar or same parts from a later model.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I found the rubber part online, so I'm good to so. I'll give this a shot tomorrow night. Thx all for the help!

Reply to
Larry Bud